LED Light Box 3-way Switch

ship

Senior Team Emeritus
Premium Member
Below SuperbrightLED's part numbers:

I have a light box application where I want to control 26' of 4NFLS-CWH2160-24v tape. https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...mds-per-ft-high-cri-1-chip-smd-led-2835/3658/

A HLG-600H-24B PSU. https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...itching-power-supply-for-md-series/2251/5286/

This with a 3-way switch (for 2-switch locations.) One just switched, the other a dimmable switch. I take it for granted the FO19-W low voltage dimmer is not able to work as a 3-way switch? Or would it in using the two wires from the dimmer in a different way given a SPDT toggle switch as the non-dimming switch? https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...ge-dimmer-with-slide-dimmer-switch/3444/7220/

Otherwise I'm thinking more conventional like a Lutron #SCL-15EPH-LA LED line voltage dimmer with the above transformer in use with a SPDT toggle switch. These at line voltage dimming the transformer. I assume Ineed a dimmable transformer, best type to be dimmed and work well on the power side line voltage dimming? Assuming normal variable voltage transformers might not dim given variable voltage ranges they accept with a pre-voltage line voltage dimmer.

At least in this case I don't need a dummy loading or resistor for wattage loading.
Thoughts?

I feel like everytime you come here with a project you are testing people to come work for you.

Your theory with the F09 is sound.

I would think that the dimmer will not supersede the switch if it is turned on however.

You could in turn wire it so that the dimmer would control the switch voltage and then allow the switch to always be on and you could turn off the dimmer switch which would turn off the switch. Then when you want to just use switch mode set the dimmer to full and on and off the switch.

You could double down on your PSUs and have a 1 to 1 setup dimmer to PSU to LEDs and switch to LEDs and then double down on your pigtails. However you run into the problem where if one is on they other shouldn’t be energize. Maybe add a kill switch for one of the PSUs to ensure it doesn’t happen.

The AIO Lutron is handy but would you need an auto sensing transformer. I would think any old 24v transformer would work.

I looked at maybe throwing in a converter of 0-10 to 24v with something like this. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0793KXFGL/?tag=controlbooth-20
But idk if that would give you the juice to run the strips.

Even though the part is cheap to test I wouldn’t want to see you kill a 195$ strip on a hunch.

Na, I'm more of an armature with a little study and every year better understanding of electronics and LED's but verly little electronics "voodoo magic" background of knowledge base in a true understanding or science of them. I was dragged kicking and screaming into doing LED's initially but am getting better over the last say 15 years working with them. At this point I about understand the details of digital nodes and constant power supplies somewhat... all some in getting the full concept, and am getting good at doing LED's concept math wise in the low voltage domain, but with still a lot to learn/verify.

Also told my department is not hiring, following a request for more skilled labor given the volume of projects I'm quoting out.

My posts are about interesting stuff that yes I am quoting out or making at some point concept wise. I'm inventing stuff... At work I have a electronics department head I verify stuff with, and others to check with so it is safe gear. The pre-theoretical challenges I have posted for the CB concept to theorize and learn from get refined at work by those who know the answers. Found a great high output Aspect LED side node tape tonight which for a different project will work really well. Have to re-quote the project in the morning based on the new LED side node tape. Re-figure amperage, wire gauge, and PSU size etc. That's easy.

With the above project, easy that a toggle single pole dual throw switch is the same thing as a 3-way light switch which will work with a 3-way dimmer for LED's in a 3-way traveler wire way for a normal switch pre-PSU. Non-starter for question electrically at line voltage switch working.

More a question of how the 3-way line voltage (dimmed) power into the transformer works with it, and the LED tape from it than. There is enough LED tape wattage so no dummy load or resistor is needed. Auto-ranging voltage transformers on another project today have been causing problems in dimming

Users who are viewing this thread

Back