Conventional Fixtures LED Replacement bulb for our strip/par cans

For console driven systems or where profiles are available, I would think it would be a simple matter for each lamp to just have indicated its bottom trim or threshold voltage. Would mean not mixing lamps, but seems easy. No doubt if successful there would eventually be a vhs vs beta stand off until one won, but so be it.

I still think the market is too small. At what factor - how many times current cost - would you not buy a retro LED lamp. I'd guess these would be at least three times current cost.

Most consumers of dimmable LED incandescent replacements just want something that they can dim for "mood lighting" so the poor low end curve is not very important (as long as it is below the desired output). Generally what it looks like when turning it on and off is not a priority.

I do like Bill's idea of labeling a threshold. I could see a small niche market but I'm not sure that the niche is big enough to be commercially viable.

Most consumers of dimmable LED incandescent replacements just want something that they can dim for "mood lighting" so the poor low end curve is not very important (as long as it is below the desired output). Generally what it looks like when turning it on and off is not a priority.

I do like Bill's idea of labeling a threshold. I could see a small niche market but I'm not sure that the niche is big enough to be commercially viable.
Well, as noted I don't think the market for this is anywhere near large enough to make it with it. Hard to see how same internal driver with ability to dim to zero while still powered would work out in a mon-profile application. Plusd as more and more just convert or replace, its a declining market. No MBA here but seems like little future or hope in these regards.

Still amazes me that you can have a microprocessor based circuit in a lamp that costs $6. Still, when you think about it, Cree could make a lamp that worked that way simply by making a software change on that processor. As such, actual production would not have to be modified. Could be our market is still too small to warrant even that change for a special model.

Still amazes me that you can have a microprocessor based circuit in a lamp that costs $6. Still, when you think about it, Cree could make a lamp that worked that way simply by making a software change on that processor. As such, actual production would not have to be modified. Could be our market is still too small to warrant even that change for a special model.
If it is just a software change, I see no reason not to do if for the mass market. I think most users would appreciate having full-range dimming; however, most aren't willing to pay (much) extra for it. There might be a concern about general users not completely turning off their dimmer switch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back