LED Scroller with an Ion

bane

At my school, we use an Ion along with a Chroma-Q Color Force scroller. I need help with getting my scroller to switch between two distinct colors without going through a whole slew of other colors in between.

For example, let's say I program the following cues:

Cue 1 - Green Cyc (Intensity Time: 5 secs Color Time: 5)
Cue 2 - Red Cyc (Intensity Time: 5 secs Color Time: 5)

Now when I go from Cue 1 to Cue 2, my cyc scrolls from red to shades of orange to shades of yellow and then finally settles on the green I need. Is there a way to avoid the scroll through the oranges and yellows?

So far the only solution I have come across is to build a cue 1.5 with a blackout, and therefore makes my cue list look kinda like this:

Cue 1 - Green Cyc (Intensity Time: 5 secs Color Time: 5)
Cue 1.5 - Blackout (Intensity Time: 2.5 Color Time: 2.5)
Cue 2 - Red Cyc (Intensity Time: 2.5 secs Color Time: 0)

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!

you could rebuild the color scroll so green and red are next to each other. or special order a such a scroll from a vendor.
other than that it looks like you have a fade to black cue.

you would need the special tape used for color scrolls if you want to go that rout

Last edited:
I'm a little confused... are you using a scroller on an LED Unit?

If you're using the Chroma-Q Color Force cyc light, one option you have to is build the 1.5 cue to take the LED's to white, then take them too green.

If you want a live move from Green to Red with LED units, you have to go through other colors. Think about the color wheel, if you put your finger on a shade of green, to get to the red portion of the wheel you have to drag your finger through the orange and yellow portions to get there. Alternatively you can drag your finger to the middle (white), then move it to red.

Hope this helps.

When I go to the Chroma-Q website, all I see is assorted scrollers called Plus, Universal and Cascade. The current Chroma-Q Color Force line is all LED, but possibly an older unit ?.

So I'm going to assume a basic color scroller, based on your description of the problem.

In general, the way they all work, is by taking the DMX signal and setting a position of the scroll based on DMX value. Thus zero value has the scroll rolled towards one end, with maximum DMX value rolling the scrolls to the other end.

With your basic taped-together-to-get-32-color scroll, there is no way to not see the assorted colors as the scroll goes from one DMX setting/value to another, when the lamp is lit.

You have discovered that the only method to avoid seeing all the colors is as 1) Venuetech describes, by placing the Green color adjacent to the Red, OR: 2) Using a dark marking cue to move the scroll from red to green while the lamp is not lit - I.E., Q1, Red is hot, Q2, fades unit. Once Q2 is complete, console moves scroll to green, Q3, Lamp restores now in green.

Assuming you are actually using the Chroma-Q Color Force LED Batten (Chroma-Q - Products - Creative LED - Color Force - Features) then there is no scroller. Just for clarification. If you are actually using a scroller, that is different.

However, from what you describe, it sounds like you are using the LEDs. If you don't want to fade through colors you have the options stated above, or you could set your color time to 0 in which case you will snap from one color to the next. However, there is no way to fade down color 1 and fade up color 2 without blending through other colors or making an intermediate dark cue. You cant even do that with real cyc lights, it is the nature of additive color mixing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back