LEDs- Cheap Diffusers- Really Cheap

Anyone have a DIY idea of how to do a large volume of led diffusers?

For a production of Chicago we plan to line the set with strip RGB LEDs-- but I really need to discover a way to diffuse them for no more than 50 cents a foot. It will be mostly straight or a gentle curve. Any ideas?

Depends on the size of the face of the strip. Can't really calculate anything without surface area.

Ah 50/50 tape. So there is always the option if you don't mind keeping it diffused forever. You can just take some sand paper to it and rough it up to the diffusion you are looking for. I have not done this, so I don't know the end result. I would test it on a small piece and see if you like the results.

On one production, we wrapped the LED tape in R100 (sold buy the film roll -- 48" wide by 25 feet long, which we cut to 3" wide on a bandsaw), then took some fluorescent tube protectors meant for T8 bulbs and slid the LED tape through that. It wasn't perfect, but from the audience it definitely looked more like NeoFlex than LED tape.

It got pretty pricey, as the film roll was about $100 and the fluorescent tube protectors were about $2 each. (http://www.lightbulbsurplus.com/tg-4t8tg.html)

On one production, we wrapped the LED tape in R100 (sold buy the film roll -- 48" wide by 25 feet long, which we cut to 3" wide on a bandsaw), then took some fluorescent tube protectors meant for T8 bulbs and slid the LED tape through that. It wasn't perfect, but from the audience it definitely looked more like NeoFlex than LED tape.

It got pretty pricey, as the film roll was about $100 and the fluorescent tube protectors were about $2 each. (http://www.lightbulbsurplus.com/tg-4t8tg.html)

Thanks!

Just out of curiosity, why the band saw?

Thanks!

Just out of curiosity, why the band saw?
If you're purchasing gel in wide rolls, like 4', a fine tooth metal cutting blade in a band saw makes quick work of pre-cutting the wide rolls, carboard core and all, into much narrower widths that you can set beside your paper cutter, drag across and chop almost as fast as pulling portions of toilet paper off a roll. In one of the theatres where I played assistant head LX we had rolls cut to width for 6" ellipsoidals (7.25") 8" fresnels and 8" ellipsoidals (Approx. 10") leaving the remainder of the roll for cutting to size for Ianiro Iris cyc tops and foots.
It's just another of those little ideas that works better than you can imagine.
Don't run the band saw too fast or you'll melt the gel and bond it together at the edges of the cuts.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

Wax and parchment paper could be worth experimenting with. You could also try hairspray. DC Fix is another option that is more expensive, but still well within your price range.

Cut-Rite wax paper from your local grocery store. Scotch-brand MagicTape to hold it together.

If this n2n1.jpg is what you are looking for, it's led tape around the perimeter and large shower curtains stapled around the edges. Backed up with a sheet of white cardboard. The door up top is completely backed, the frames only for 6" around as we needed to have a back lit silhouette.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back