Les Mis Barricade Help

BSchend

Ok, so here is the situation.

I am doing the set design for a community theater production of Les Mis. Due to wing storage constraints the barricade will be in 2 pieces (1 stage left, 1 stage right) and when joined will be a 4'x16' single piece. Due to the way the venue schedules its shows we have from Sunday night until Friday afternoon for the entire load-in, construction, tech process. As such we are doing with out the turn table, not because of building it, but building the rest of the stage level up to the turn table height for set changes/etc. There is just not enough time to build in place, and not enough space off site to pre-build the pieces (let alone budget to do so).

The 2 barricade pieces will be assembled on stage (but hidden) and then moved down stage a few feet to it's regular spot once revealed. I plan on using 12 triple swivels (6 on each half) to aid in the movement of the piece. Using the ones rated for high loads, so the addition of barricade materials and actors is not a problem.

So the issue comes in that the director still wants to turn the barricade from front to back view (for Gavroche's death) and then back. I have no doubt the unit will spin (with some initial effort for inertia), but the problem is keeping it rotating in it's spot. The triple swivels are great, but don't restrict any plane of movement, which means the whole thing could migrate as it spins, and may not be easily (i.e. in-conspicuously) corrected. The rotational speed won't be great, but that is a lot of mass in motion to try to correct. Maybe 2 weeks of practice might help, but that isn't a possibility here.

My idea is to have the pieces be a 4x7 and a 4x9. Centered in the last foot of the 9' piece where it meets the 7' piece will be a piston that will have a turntable swivel mounted to it. Once the unit is in it's location the piston would be activated and the turntable swivel would act as a rotating pivot brake to keep the unit from migrating. Some travel might happen, but I'm not worried about a few inches. It only needs to be activated once and with a large bore piston (possibly 3 inches) I could get a couple hundred pounds of pressure in that one spot. Yes it will be dissipated over the surface of the swivel, but it should be a decent amout still.

Question would be if this idea would work. All I want to do is provide the friction to keep the unit fairly set, but am worried the torque of spinning the unit (even by hand) might tear apart the piston. Either that or the friction simply won't be enough to keep the unit from wandering.

Any other thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not certain what specifically you mean by "turntable swivel" (we all have our own names for things), but in theory I like the idea. If the piston lowers something that has a ball bearing you will add almost no friction to the spin motion. Then the bottom of the thing can be rubber so it stays in place on the floor.

It sounds to me like it would work, but I might question how necessary it is. Are there going to be people standing on the thing while you move it? I built a wagon about that weight for the last show we did and had four high school girls moving it without an issue. I feel like with one person on each corner, they should be able to accurately spin the thing without the added piston. That said, I've never used triple swivel casters so I was just using something like these http://www.accesscasters.com/4a02ps-4-swivel-poly-wheel.aspx
If the triple swivels are more unwieldy than the single casters, and you can easily do the piston, I see no reason why it wouldn't work. Just make sure it is worth the hassle before you commit resources to it.

I'm with TheatreEd on this one. A few people and some spike tape can make for a pretty smooth movement without a lot of fuss and bother. It feels like the solution is being a little over-engineered.

We routinely spin 4x8 structures on a set of 4 swivel casters. The current show uses a 4x8 x 32" riser with various bits hanging off of it that moves all over the place and spins in place at one point while 2 people are standing on it. 1 cast member could do the move but we are using 2 or 4 depending on the scene change.

Our "go to" solution for this sort of moving set piece:

proxy.php

The triple swivels are not unwieldy, exactly the opposite. They eliminate the "correction" a normal single swivel caster has to do when changing direction. This makes the initial "push" to start the move a bit easier. The spin also happens in full light as part of the scene. Since the combined unit is 4x16 with barricade material and at least a few actors on it, making finite corrections in placement, probably won't be an easy task, and definitely not discrete in full view of the audience.

I was involved with a production of Les Miz this summer with a similar wing space... er... opportunity... We had the two halves of the barricade come together and, when it was time for Gavroche's death, split again and each piece rotated about 45° downstage and moved offstage just a bit. Gavroche died up stage center between the two units with the students frozen on the barricade (they froze from the time it split/started moving until it was back in it's original position). It worked well and we didn't need to worry about a complete revolve. I believe we had four hands on each wagon, mostly to help steer and hit spike, but we had excellent zero-throw casters on the units and they were very easy to move.

Best,
John

Kicknargel, Missed your response by accident. A "turntable swivel" is simply the two plates and bearing that you could make a turn table out of. Most use a basic pipe method (one smaller diameter bolted to the floor, one larger bolted to the turntable surface) for turn tables, but this is a self contained unit. http://www.castercity.com/specific-app-casters/turntable-swivel.htm

It's rated for 2000 pounds so I'm not worried that it would have a problem with the pressure.

Our director definitely wants the rotation if possible. I said I think we have a solution, but won't know for sure if it will work as intended until we try it in the theater with the completed unit. Just looking to see if anyone sees a major flaw with my idea. It doesn't prevent the unit from simply being rotated by eye anyway, so the fall back plan is there regardless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back