Light board woes

My school district decided to upgrade all the high schools (4) to LED lighting a few years ago. My school was the last to be upgraded. We have 8 rectangular LEDs on stage and that is it. We still have our halogen lekos from FOH and 6 fresnels to fill out the stage LEDs. The problem we are having is the light board that was forced on us. It is a Leviton Innovator. Had to have a new board because the old board was not DMX capable. Anyway, we believe it is a lemon as that board has broken down so many times, and we have no support from district maintenance and little sure support from school admin. We have called tech support at its 800 number, but we keep having to send the board to Wisconsin (we are in Colorado). The turn-around time is 3 weeks. That's quite a bit of down time. The drama director and I are looking around and seeing what other options might be out there. The director was told by a lighting tech from our local university (Colorado Mesa University) that the board we have is very out of date. I agree mainly because it uses a floppy disc (3 1/2 X 3 disc) to load in shows and factory resets. What I am looking for are some recommendations for other light board possibilities for lighting our stage. I wasn't a fan of LED at first, but I am seeing some of the advantages. Would love some input to help us end our frustration with this board. Thanks to all comers!

Considering the very small number of lights you have I might consider the ETC Colorsource consoles. Haven't personally used them but I hear good things. You could also look at a used Express board if you don't want to spend a fortune. Those use floppies too but can be retrofitted to usb, but from my experience they are very capable and easy to use consoles.

Ah yes, the Innovator... I first touched one between 15 and 20 years ago, so very dated technology. I remember it being quite buggy as well, so you're not alone! In fact, I've literally had one of these cook right in front of me - melting solder and all! The floppy drive is the least of its problems. It's a decent board when it works and is great for first time operators, but it was on the market way before LED stage lights were even a mainstream option! Despite having the ability for moving light control, it doesn't excel at that either. I'm an ETC console owner/user and overall fan of their products, so I agree that the Colorsource boards are definitely a viable option. If thinking more long-term growth potential, the Element would be a solid choice as well. ETC also provides top of the line support both before and after the sale, so definitely take them up on free, no obligation, one on one console demos. Such a demo is how I settled on my current go-to console for my personal inventory. Good luck!

With the small number of lights, you may want to consider a software lighting control system. There are several programs listed on both the Enttec and DMXKing sites (those are the USB to DMX interface suppliers). Think about your lighting needs as some of the packages are more what a DJ might use as opposed to theatrical lighting. You don't need a monster computer. A recent design laptop could suffice.

Biased Manufacturer plug follows:
Our Cognito console was designed specifically for venues like yours. We say it's a console that people can use if they don't do lighting 40 hours a week. If you can operate an iPad, you'll be at home with this. Plus, with its Natural Language Control it can do clever things with LEDs like fade in different color spaces, set color temperature and dim to warm. There are an extensive number of training videos here. You will easily find a dealer in your area that carries the Cognito and other Pathway products. Or contact our support for some suggestions. Good luck with your search.
proxy.php

Going with a software option at this time might be your best option until you can source a board with a surface if that is what your really after. You can go with Chamsys which will give you 1 universe out of a USB dongle or use an artnet node such as DMX King and get up to 64 universes for free. Granted you won't get a surface unless you spend over 2k but it will work for you in a pinch.

The only thing you have to remember with software is that you don't have any tactile control or physical buttons to push. Wings fill this gap nicely and also help to speed up programming time, but also increase the cost drastically. It really depends on what you think your students will be comfortable with! In my experience, some love it and take to the concept very quickly. Others find the computer-only interface even more confusing when already struggling to wrap their mind around DMX and programming. About 10 years ago I was in this exact same situation. The Innovator at the local community theater was out for repair following its latest temper tantrum so I brought in my laptop running MagicQ as an interim solution for the show opening that weekend. I got a lot of blank stares...how is that tiny laptop going to replace all the buttons and faders on the Innovator?!? Well, after a fair amount of teaching and explaining the techs got comfortable enough to use it (not having a lot of other options anyways), but this type of transition when compared to students' expectations and comfort levels might also be worth considering. All of that said, I've been a guest designer in many theaters that only use a PC running software as their console, so it definitely can be done even on a large scale! Just more food for thought.

I am overwhelmed by the responses I have received so far! Thank you so much. Intrigued by the software control ideas as my director mentioned this as a possible option. I look forward to more feedback and to the research I will be doing on what has been presented!

Unfortunately I have a lot of experience of the Leviton Innovator from the one at my high school, full of bugs and crashes.

But I just this year convinced them to buy an Martin M-Play and it has been doing great. Great software and a control surface for not allot of money. Add in a computer and it's a great option.

Last edited:
Considering the very small number of lights you have I might consider the ETC Colorsource consoles. Haven't personally used them but I hear good things. You could also look at a used Express board if you don't want to spend a fortune. Those use floppies too but can be retrofitted to usb, but from my experience they are very capable and easy to use consoles.
Thanks for the recommendations. From what source could we buy a used Express board?

Usedlighting.com, solarisnetwork.com, and gearsource.com are all sites that I browse when shopping for used equipment. Just always check the location of the equipment first since these sites are worldwide. Mileage will vary, but I've never had a horrible experience buying used equipment, but just like anything, ask your questions and trust your instincts. If it's too good to be true, it probably is. Best of luck with the purchase!

Unfortunately I have a lot of experience of the Leviton Innovator from the one at my high school, full of bugs and crashes.

But I just this year convinced them to buy an Martin M-Play and it has been doing great. Great software and a control surface for not allot of money. Add in a computer and it's a great option.
Colin, glad to hear you know my pain. And that you had a bad experience with the Leviton. Good to know we aren't the only ones. I'd like to ask what you paid for the Martin M-Play. Is that gauche? :)

Colin, glad to hear you know my pain. And that you had a bad experience with the Leviton. Good to know we aren't the only ones. I'd like to ask what you paid for the Martin M-Play. Is that gauche? :)

We paid $438 dollars right from our local lighting dealership, Main Light. You then have to remember you need a computer as well. My district provided one that was unreliable, connected and depended on district network, and it got locked out. So right now we are relying on my laptop until, if, district provides us with a computer not connected to anything else and to be dedicated to M-PC.

You probably know this but with Martin and most companies you run into MAP (Minimum Advertised Price). Always call around to both local companies and online sellers to find the lowest price.
As far as the computer laptop or perhaps desktop look into "gifts in kind". As people or companies upgrade to the latest, greatest, sleekest and skinyest models they can donate the old ones(s) and get a tax deduction. Also remember that the computer used should be used ONLY for the intended use, not connected to the internet and excess programs removed. If you have a couple of computers, always have them updated the same, with show files frequently updated. That way you always have a backup.

We paid $438 dollars right from our local lighting dealership, Main Light. You then have to remember you need a computer as well. My district provided one that was unreliable, connected and depended on district network, and it got locked out. So right now we are relying on my laptop until, if, district provides us with a computer not connected to anything else and to be dedicated to M-PC.
Thanks for your info. We might have to contact a dealer outside of the Grand Valley of western Colorado. I don't know if ywe have any dealers in the area that sell Martin. But, that said, doesn't hurt to ask.

Colin, I see you are online right now. I am rather lacking in knowledge about the computer system light controller option. Intrigued, but lacking knowledge. Would you be able to let me know how it is attached to the existing lighting system in an auditorium?

Would someone take me through the steps of using software to control lighting? This is a technology I am intrigued by, but no nothing of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back