Light Design Systems

Hello Everyone,

I have a couple LDS analog Dimmers that I am trying to get going. I have bought the DMX to analog converter. I am trying to figure out the wiring for the d-sub 25 pin connector to the Cinch Jones connectors.

The protocol converter should tell you the pin-out of the DB-25 (but it's probably 1-24 hot & [HASHTAG]#25[/HASHTAG] common).
On the CJ connectors, pins 1-6 are hots, and pin#8 is common. (Unless it's a 10pin CJ, in which case it may be pin#10 common, or might still be #8.)

Reminds me of a quote that I with I could remember the source:
Use to be, one could trouble-shoot a dimmer system with a 9-volt battery. Today, one needs a laptop and an FTP site.

These are 12 circuit dimmers that use a 15 pin cinch jones. Common on the DB-25 is 13 according to the manual for the converter. I have attached the manual for the converter. Does this mean I just connect pins one through 12 one for one on the jones connector with 13 as ground and on the second unit, 14 through 24 starting at 1 on the second jones connector?

Attachments

• DMXDecoder.pdf
    252.6 KB · Views: 277
... with 13 as ground and on the second unit, 14 through 24 starting at 1 on the second jones connector?
Yes, except it's DB pins 14-25 going to second CJ 1-12, and DB 13 needs to go to both CJ pins 13 (but below indicates common might be CJ pin#15):
Those used to be used on the old EDI SCRimmer packs. As for the wire, if it is for the old EDI dimmers, pretty much any 15 conductor cable will work. Doesn't have to be shielded, probably should be [HASHTAG]#22[/HASHTAG] or heavier stranded conductors. From what I remember, 14 of the conductors are used. (Chn's 1 to 12, pin 15 = common, and pin 13 = 25 volt. Pin 14 was not used.) Some of the real old packs used that to turn the fan on, most of the packs I had didn't even use pin 13. ...

But I'm not sure, since LDS is/was a Canadian company and we know how Canadians are about following standards, unlike us Americans who never deviate from the norm.

Alright sounds simple enough. I had most of it right in my first attempt. I guess I get to break out the soldering iron next week. Let's not be too harsh on us Canadians.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back