Light in a Box... (Powering such an Idea)

T1NM4N

Hello again, all!

T1NM4N here and I need some ideas. My grad program is doing a production of
"Clybourne Park" and have need for a lighting fixture in a box. It will probably be
a few Birdies or a single LED fixture but it needs to be "dragged" onto the stage.
This makes it difficult to conceal a cable for power and control.

Does anyone know a more wireless way without breaking the bank? Can a car
battery be hooked up to run power for such a thing?

T1NM4N

theT1NM4N

I wouldn't do a car battery - sounds like it would be way too heavy for your uses.

How long does the light have to be on? That will determine how much capacity you need. First reaction is 1 or 2 lantern batteries and a 12v light source like what farmerjo1111 suggested.

Techieman33 has a nice, packaged solution. Sometimes us theatre techs tend to over-think things and forget that there are pre-made solutions out there.

The million dollar question is, does it need to be controlled from the lighting console?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To Les: I'd hate to leave the control in the hands of the actor, but it may be the only way to run it as we cannot afford wireless DMX for this production. The light just needs to be visible on the face of the actor when he opens it. Bright and probably will be colored with gel once I talk to the director further.

theT1NM4N

To Les: I'd hate to leave the control in the hands of the actor, but it may be the only way to run it as we cannot afford wireless DMX for this production. The light just needs to be visible on the face of the actor when he opens it. Bright and probably will be colored with gel once I talk to the director further.

theT1NM4N

Just made a LED wash light onto some motorcycles that is truck driver/transport of the tour controlled in being the only reliable source. Actors for the most part are supervised, truck triver traveling with the show...

Ok... fixture once chosen, than how long it will be on, how to turn it off or on, and how to re-charge if cheaper than throw away batteries. For me, it was the fixture at 10 - 30 Amps VDC was chosen, but until we connected it up to an actual battery, we didn't know how much draw it would have. Turned out to be 1 Amp at 12 Volts per hour. That was a problem for any battery. This expensive no matter what solution for four fixtures on a long tour expected 12 hours a day and 35 days. On another project, LED tape was able to be done with a 12V cordless tool battery given it wouldn't be on long and was an easy re-charge.

Avoid what might leak or be dangerous to charge in general but find the fixture and figure from there as a start.

I would suggest getting one of those flashlights that works on a drill battery. They're usually plenty bright for this type of effect.

Hey T1NM4N,

Our rental rates for RC4Magic wireless dimming are really low. You can use any of the suggested solutions for power and light, and our device gives you control from the console. It really is so inexpensive you should take a look before deciding you can't afford it. Check out http://www.theatrewireless.com/rental/. Put a DMXio and DMX2dim in the shopping cart and all costs are calculated for you.

Sorry for the "shameless self promotion." :)

Jim
RC4

I would suggest getting one of those flashlights that works on a drill battery. They're usually plenty bright for this type of effect.
Good point and reminder. Otherwise on batteries in another project I used a Mulwaukee 12v Ion battery M2 system if I remember it correctly as model. Worked great for show use and was the smallest powertool battery with punch/lamp life that could be just plugged in. Think I posted about the LED "Trident" using such battery earlier this year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back