Lighting a cyc

csilvia9

Hi I am working on a production of Aladdin Jr and would like to use a cyc for the backdrop and be able to change it's color. Like any school theater Im on a low budget but would like to add some new lighting to our existing system. Could anyone tell me what I may need to do this.

Thanks
Csivlia9

What do you have for lighting now? How is your space configured? Is it a fly system or is it dead hung pipes? Are there pipes available where you wish to place the cyc and for the cyc lights? Are there raceways with the circuits or do you drop mults to positions? How big is your stage? How tall will your cyc need to be? What material will it be? What is your budget to do this? These are all important questions that need answers in order to best give you an answer.

There are quite a few options depending on what the limitations of your space are. Cyc lights with asymetrical reflectors, border lights and standard instruments with the correct diffusion. Light it from above, light it from below. Light it from the front, light is from the back, and light it from the back but with a bounce. The most appropriate solution depends greatly on what you have to work with.

If you are going the affordable route and conventional I would recommend some colortran cyc lights. They are affordable and work well but are a pain to hang. I definitely agree that we need some more information.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back