Lighting a private Christmas party.

BillESC

Lighting a private Rotary Club Christmas Party. (South end of the room and north end.)

The nebula slowly moved.
Christmas 2023-1.jpg

Attachments

• Christmas 2023-2.jpg
    Christmas 2023-2.jpg
    353.5 KB · Views: 57
It's an interesting design. Suspect the ceiliing lighting was as implied you did the South end of the photo? No figithing the overall picture of upstage/downstage (North/South).... A civil war in your lighting verses that of the crappy northern side.

A failure in all ways both from commucation/overall design in doing something for the room artistic - no pointing fingers in failure North veses South "better" needs to be done.. Yes, the south end image on the ceiling was amazing. Wow, that's cool... And?

Looking at the talent, or in this case the customers and not just the amazing ceiling and it's various interesting shadows, how happy do the customers look?

While the tables were no doubt not as dark as they appear... no lighting is done on the various tables. The photo says enough... Where is the fun even if a great ceiliing image for the South end? Can the customers see each other's eyes as reflected from across the table and or its center orniment?

All involved for desig looked to the images they could background provide, without looking to the tables the talent/customers were eating at. Lighing class 101, can you see their eye's I believe is important.

I do hope you learn from this observation... DJ's do what they do. Designers need to both do what they do, but also keep their eyes on the goal of the purpose of what they are doing.

This was a free job for My Rotary Club.

I had nothing to do with the table decorations.

No it ain't Broadway, but I spent years working there.

My apologies than, but on the other hand... granted a party nobody looks forward to these days.. and nobody looks like they are having fun at. That ceiling was very interesting, and if changing could especially be a good base. How now can you help the events?

Imagine a dance floor all events must have... But a Cuckie Cheese Fish based dance floor huge to dance on.... And you further light the fun from there in throwing to the tables and throwing odd moving. Gets expensive to rent in doing... Any way to design as a goal say fun around this or better?

A concept in me missing, this year a semi-local family event taking place at a golf club house where nothing was done in lighting other than the typical DJ booth lighting. For at least my Daughter's Girl Scout dances, where I work provides supplemental up lighting along the walls which is sound changing so as to supplement the DJ. Also not great lighting and I also could do more for. Limited level the girls are sufficiently having fun. The parents not as much or needing to be DJ pushed for limited dancing with the child.

On the other hand... I remember back in the early 70's when my Grand parents had clubs like the Lion's club, Knights of Coloumbus and other club types X-Mass parties that were in big venues in Chicago with hundreds of kids attending. Three or four clubs each year Santa would visit and give presents to the kids at. Big club drinking parties in getting together in ways we don't have clubs and familiority with others in gathering these days.

In general in the early 70's the venu just turned on the house lights and the magic of the experience was within the venue. So many people. So many often by that time drunk members... having fun at the event. So many Wives, Grand Mothers.. keeping their Husbands from stupid and focused on the kids event. Still the events were magic back than for us kids.

Given the 70's concepts of clubs with many members events is mostly done now, and the above what was done...

How can lighting design for say a 100 person venu at say a golf club or similar small hall help, the limited venue decoration and house lighting? The DJ would provide as seen some lighting which is local to the DJ and limited. Nobody in the audience looks like they are having fun and are in the dark.

Is it feasible... I believe to design something cost effictive which will with lighting, make a smaller venu a fun experience? This beyond games - DJ motivated verses Air Hocky type stuff.

This was a celebration of our Rotary year, not a dance.

We raised and gave away to charities nearly $ 40,000 along with scholarships.

Everyone brought a dish, there was a cocktail hour, dinner and relaxed chat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back