Lighting Challenge: evenly distribute light on curved spandex with no hot spots

StNic54

Looking to evenly light a circular spandex piece from within. The challenge: absolutely no hot spots, absolutely no shadows, and quick response on-off for the fixtures.

standard fixtures aren't cutting it no matter what kind of diffusion we use. I was thinking of pursuing Kino Flo, but without having used their products before, I'm curious if anyone has any history with them (besides being a rep).

We've got some of the PRG TruColor fixtures that are screamin' bright, but they can be a little flickery in terms of dimming them on and off. Hit me up!

How big is the spandex piece? What is the throw distance? How quick is quick response? If you can quantify it, it might help with meaningful suggestions.

It's a large piece, two half circles that circumference about 12' (roughly), and can be lit from within or without, but the whole internal glow is the goal. Throw distance can be from below or above, but I'm leaning toward from within (so from center, about 4')

It's a large piece, two half circles that circumference about 12' (roughly), and can be lit from within or without, but the whole internal glow is the goal. Throw distance can be from below or above, but I'm leaning toward from within (so from center, about 4')

I would look into LED strip lighting. Do some research on Spandex Objects/Towers and you might be able to get a hold of someone who can point you in the direction as to what exact LED fixture can be used.

Do you try to run the Kino's as dimmable, or just on/off? Do they flicker when firing up?

I just remember all the Kino Flo ads from Lighting Dimensions. They were always the sexy side of lighting advertising, but I never knew the specifics of their fixtures.

Some Kino ballasts are dimmable, I think most are not.
I mostly get DMX non dimmable fixtures & ballasts.
While, IMO, I believe Kinos to do an instant start on, without flickering, when you start multiple fixtures at the same time, some fixtures will come on a beat later.
This can look like flicker.

Would using a par or LED from the center, either above or below, and hit a mirror and bounce the light be viable? I don't know if this stays through the event or raises and lowers.

Would using a par or LED from the center, either above or below, and hit a mirror and bounce the light be viable? I don't know if this stays through the event or raises and lowers.

That was my thought as well. If you could bounce it off a mirror parallel from your fixture the hotspot would be point back into the fixture itself, not the spandex. You could also put diffusion on the mirror too to soften it some more. I may be picturing the set up different too though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the input - I like the mirror ideas as well, and I'm most interested in trying out Kino's. From what I gather, this isn't a budget-conscious show, so we may be able to play a little, and when we get a finished look, I'll put up photos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back