Lighting Companies for novices to join? (Los Angeles Area)

Hi, does anyone know any lighting companies or places in L.A. that would take on a novice? I know my conventional lights, how to hang and focus, read a light plot but not much knowledge about electricity, movers, maintenance, etc. I'd like to add to what I know about lighting through hands-on training. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hi Jimmy,
Where in L.A. are you located?
There are plenty of lighting companies large and small in the L.A. area. The smaller companies will probably be more open to being approached.
Another great option is education. There are some VERY good community college and university programs in Southern California.
You sound like you want to learn, so I am happy to help you out.
Take care,
John

Hi John,
I'm just north of L.A., in Glendale. Thank you, I appreciate it. I'm not familiar with a lot lighting companies besides ones like ELS and PRG. Can you suggest any of the smaller companies?

Hi Jimmy,
Try getting in touch with Kinetic Lighting. They are in Glendale. Excellent people with a strong drive for excellence.
http://kineticlighting.com/
Another company is Call Brothers Productions. They are in Altadena.
(626) 794-8306
4Wall has an office right near Glendale as well.
4wall.com
Good luck,
John

Another great option is education. There are some VERY good community college and university programs in Southern California.

+1. Talk to administration or your local arts director about doing lighting design/tech crew for a campus production. Often more laid back in general, and overseen by very knowledgeable student TD's or professors. The knowledge and experience you can get from doing even a few of these gigs is invaluable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back