Lighting design instruction videos

Renz

Hi

I had to redesign the whole rig in one of the venues I work for.

Its council so we host music, drama etc..

I have designed the new rig from the top of my head from what I have learned a long time ago from a minimal amount of sources, mostly on jobs.

The rig is all set and should work however I am at this stage where I thought the internet could be of some use to confirm or update my knowledge.

I have looked on youtube but there is a lot of crap out there, especially the stuff from https://www.learnstagelighting.com/ that I think is totally useless.

If you have any good comprehensive ressource that you could share with us, post the links or addresses in this thread.

Thanks

Yeah, I quickly realized that stuff on the internets iz dumbz.

That said, I too am trying to learn as much as I can without the benefit training. You, however, seem to be working with more complex setups than I so... I got nothing but sympathy for you.

There is no real secret. Make people look good. Not smurfs, not martians, not devils. Unless of course that's the look you are going for.

There is more technical data and ways to say it but just keep it simple. Even in a big rig 3-4 colors with some specials.

This may be an area where you say screw the videos and go to the tried and true: books. Any used book store at a college will undoubtedly have copies of lighting texts, or go the Amazon route. Start with The McCandless method and go from there. As you have already discovered, there are no "rules" as such, although the 'no smurfs, no martians, no devils' comes close.

Last edited:
This may be an area where you say screw the videos and go to the tried and true: books. Any used book store at a college will undoubtedly have copies of lighting texts, or go the Amazon route. Start with The McCandless method and go from there. As you have already discovered, there are no "rules" as such, although the 'no snurfs, no martians, no devils' comes close.
@Renz @Amiers @seanandkate @Chris Pflieger Hands down, the single best book I read on lighting was a thin hardcover publication entitled "The First Ten Lights" by a fellow from England, the name Tomlinson comes to mind.
The author began with if you can only afford one light, what type should it be (fresnel or ellipsoidal), where should you hang it and in what, if any, color. The text stepped you up one lamp at a time to two, three, four all the way to ten and closed by saying 'By the time you've got this far, you'll have so many ideas of things you want to try, it's time to quit reading and beg, borrow, buy more lights.' It was an excellent book. I bought it decades ago and it was still on my theatre book shelf when I suffered my mini-stroke, became blind overnight, and was forced to leave my wife and condo behind. Over the years, I purchased about a dozen other books on lighting but none of them gave me so much valuable perspective and insight in one thin, concise, to the point, just the facts, volume. I freely admit to having broken the copyright laws several times by photocopying sections of the book to hand out at amateur lighting workshops.
A great book. Roughly 6" x 8", perhaps 8" x 10", hard covered, maybe 3/8" thick, predominantly light blue and white on the cover, by a British author. Tomlinson comes to mind but I may be incorrect on the author's name. @derekleffew 's probably got it on his bookshelf.
Toodleoo!
Ron

The author began with if you can only afford one light, what type should it be (fresnel or ellipsoidal), where should you hang it and in what, if any, color.
@RonHebbard may be misremembering, or Francis Reid may have incorporated Tomlinson's text because Chapter 8 has almost verbatim text to what Ron said. In the Stage Lighting Handbook the first 10 lights eventually become a 2 zone McCandless wash.

Okay for books but since I dont get paid for time spent training on my own I would have puch preferred some straight to the point videos. If you guys find one that is worthy in the next few months please do keep us posted.

Here is the one I made, it's just basic focus stuff for youngsters but I think it's quality. Let us know if you like it.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=basic+lighting+focus+lx

I disagree with the "make the performers look good" that does not mean anything!! In basic theatre lighting what I like to hear is more about contrasts, all the different types of white temperature, different ways to wash the stage, side lights or back wash

Lighting for music compared to theatre.. or dance .. hybrid rigs...

There are so many lighting guys out there loading up the FOH with their biggest guns and fancy gels but get boring 2 dimensional result... you'd be surprised

Downloading McCandless method to see what it's worth. Anyway thank you all!

Okay for books but since I dont get paid for time spent training on my own I would have puch preferred some straight to the point videos. If you guys find one that is worthy in the next few months please do keep us posted.

Here is the one I made, it's just basic focus stuff for youngsters but I think it's quality. Let us know if you like it.

There are so many lighting guys out there loading up the FOH with their biggest guns and fancy gels but get boring 2 dimensional result... you'd be surprised

You haven't told us what console or fixtures you are using in your space. If we knew a little more then someone might be able to point you in the right direction.
Lighting in the light and shade gives depth and it is still making the performers on stage look the way the need to be as per the directors intention. I believe it should be a balance of light coming from different directions if you don't then it will be very flat lighting there doesn't need to be much of a difference for the eye to pick it up.
I use videos to learn lots of stuff. Watch many and pick the good bit out that work for you and discard the rest.

Regards
Geoff

https://www.controlbooth.com/threads/lighting-concept-lighting-statement.7679/

Not that they're the same, but I've never seen a "how-to" YouTube video on open-heart surgery either.

Agreed.

I said that there are more technical ways to say what I said but in the end I use what is in front of me at the specific facility to "make the actors look good". There is so many right ways to do it and only one wrong way.

Lighting to me is common sense and keeping it simple. You aren't reinventing the wheel here you are lighting people.

Now you want to talk about flash n trash and specials that's a whole other story and takes some creativity.

Building a 20x40x20 proscenium 3 chase practical yes that takes effort. Or 15+ signs with string lights around it cutting holes and wiring gluing and rigging.

But to point a FoH row at the stage with your focus partner on it dropping in 08,32,68 gels run the barrel cut the shutters is some basic stuff.

Now if the FoH row isn't hung then yes there is some planning that goes into that. But you are most of the time at the mercy of the people buying the fixtures 3/4s of the time. Instead of fancy S4s you end up with Pars and instead of wide lenses you end up with mediums.

So that being said.

Goto YouTube and type in lighting 101. And have a field day.

Amiers

If you have read through my questions there are some elements in there that clearly indicates that lighting 101 and how to videos would not suit.

On this basis I say that your comment is inappropriate and unhelpful, or was it supposed to be funny?

Don't try to answer questions if you have nothing for us, that's not cool.

Anyway. That said, there is plenty of space on this wonderful education ressource that is youtube for a lighting instruction project, that's a fact.

I will keep searching every now and then and perhaps in a couple of years, one of the lighting mentors from controlbooth.com will have done a great job.

Talk soon.

You didn't ask any questions.

And no I wasn't trying to be funny. It was a valid response to your I have a video look at it. I watched 15 seconds and closed it because you were doing it right.

You took the fixture pointed it at the person and ran the barrel.

Sorry you think lighting is more complicated than the way I see it is.

Many years ago I made a YouTube series about the process of lighting a show. It's definitely not comprehensive and maybe not good either, but for beginners trying to figure out how to approach the whole process in general it might be valuable. It's geared toward basic theatrical lighting. Here is the link

Okay for books
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=basic+lighting+focus+lx

Lighting for music compared to theatre.. or dance .. hybrid rigs...
Video doesn't seem to go anywhere. And you said you're ok for books but there are literally books specialized for concert lighting vs. dance or theatre lighting that explains the differences and how to approach it.

Mccandless info can be found right here in our own wiki. https://www.controlbooth.com/wiki/Collaborative-Articles:McCandless-Method

Users who are viewing this thread

Back