Lighting Plot Programs

carsonld

I just had a question about vector works and light write. I have the student edition of vector works but does anyone know a good tutorial on how to use it? And does it create the paperwork? My question about light write is I have the demo but am I able to make the plots with it?

What programs would you suggest? I am currently using LXBeams it's just has a lot of glitches.

This is the tutorial I used when I was starting off with Vectorworks, had no prior knowledge but this taught me enough to be able to easily create plots. And you can get Vectorworks to generate all sorts of paperwork - gel cut sheets, lighting inventory, and the plots themselves.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

EDIT: It's showing only the first of 6 videos in the tutorial, I'd recommend going to this guy's channel and watching the other tutorials in the series.

I just had a question about vector works and light write. I have the student edition of vector works but does anyone know a good tutorial on how to use it? And does it create the paperwork? My question about light write is I have the demo but am I able to make the plots with it?

What programs would you suggest? I am currently using LXBeams it's just has a lot of glitches.

Vectorworks and Lightwright are arguably the most widely programs used by lighting professionals to get all the paperwork accomplished - light plot and associated drawings, channel hookup, instrument schedule, error checks, color sheet and cuts paperwork, transfer of data and patch to the Eos base consoles,. etc....

Vectorworks can generate paperwork, it's just not as refined and functional as what Lightwright can do, which is why most professionals using this software use them together.

Vectorworks is the program of choice to get the plot drawn, as it's a drafting program, with plug-ins to make it function as a lighting plot program (the Spotlight variation). It has a direct link capability to Lightwright, which in turn is the go-to program for database/spreadsheet type paperwork.

I use both and use the automatic data exchange link that both software companies have enabled, thus can work in both programs simultaneously to generate all the required paperwork and drawings.

There are other programs, WYSIWYG and LD Assistant are well though of, as example, but possibly not as prevalent in the industry.

Learning LightWright and Vectorworks is bay far the best thing you can do. They are the industry standard for theatrical lighting. VW for drafting, LW for paperwork.

You will need more than the demo version of LW to really get anywhere. There is a student license available which gives you basically full access to the program, whereas the demo is quite limited.

With current versions of both pieces of software, you can turn on data exchange so that instrument data is shared between VW and LW. However, don't let data exchange make you lazy. There are many things that are not shared between programs and I find that I spend a lot of time cleaning up LW files that I receive from designers. Learning to use both programs well will serve you very well in the industry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back