Lighting position titles

since many of your money making shows come from new york city, it makes sense to follow the convention there. many students want to get there eventually themselves anyway, and the USA exams are based out of new york, more reasons to conform.

so why not do what they do? i’m a graduate of NYU and a NY IA stagehand. i was taught, and always used, the convention that all fixture numbering begins SL, all boom numbering begins at the top.

numbers are separated when possible by letters, so (forever), the tenth lamp on the first pipe is labelled 1P10 (1 pipe lamp 10) or the top lamp on a boom labelled 2BR1 (2 boom right lamp 1). when paired at the same height, the DS lamp is odd, the upstage even.

the term ‘lx’ is new to me, and because it involves more letters, less useful. i have never used it.

auditorium lighting positions are called for example, 1FOH10, 3FOH 4, following the same standard. 1 FOH is closest to the stage. 2BBL (2 box boom, stage left, is second closest to the stage). sort of a mirror image of the stage.

to me this method worked the first time i saw it, was unforgettable, and had already worked for decades in new york.

this method is also transferable because it easily figured out by you who do not use it when the new york shows arrive at your theater.

nobody i talk to ever uses house right, house left—what’s the point? stick with stage left, stage right.

In my house, I have box booms and another area further away from the stage cut into the sides that someone labeled "cheeks" long ago. They are angled such that lighting only faces the stage. I've pondered that name... maybe "slots" is better.

All circuits installed are numbered from SL to SR, except in those house box/cheeks where they are numbered bottom to top SL/HR (1-8) then bottom to top SR/HL (9-16) cheeks, then start over in box booms bottom SL/HR then bottom SR/HL, then box boom top SL/HR, continuing across the FOH to the SR/HL box boom. After that we do the electrics SL, then behind the SL proscenium, floor pockets, across the back wall to SR pockets, proscenium, then across the apron SL to SR, finally out to the follow spot positions back of the house, SL then SR, ending in front of the control booth. Whew.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back