Lighting Rain From Under/Cooling Lights

I am doing light design for The Laramie Project, and our director is having it rain onstage in two columns on each side of the stage. He also wants it to be able to be lit from underneath. After testing with a variety of fixtures, I have figured my best bet would be to put a scoop under each rain catch, to shine directly upwards. Our rain catches are clear plastic tarps, with a grate on top so actors can stand on it. They are built into a 18inch riser. My concern is that too much heat will be generated from the scoops, and cause the plastic to melt. The lights need to be on for at least 30mins each show night.

I have tried using mirrors to put lights further away, but there is not enough light bouncing up. Any suggestions on something else I can try, or a way to cool the scoops so that there isn't a chance of the plastic tarp melting.

Thanks

Best bet is LED, no heat to worry about and they work well with water (when properly sealed at least)
Also if I am reading correctly and the lights will be under the water shining up, even if not in direct water, I would still recommend getting Outdoor rated fixtures and make sure they are in a GFCI outlet, just to be on the safe side. :)

I agree with Morte615 on the idea of using LEDs. I would also be concerned about the tarp tearing since it's getting walked on. If a drop of water hits the lamp, poof and you've got a ruptured lamp and possibly exposed voltage. it would also crack lenses.

Chauvet has some nice outdoor rated LED fixtures that you could rent.

I too agree LED would be the best, except we don't have enough money to purchase LED lights for this. No one is actually walking on the tarp. They will be walking on a metal grate, and under the metal grate fabric to absorb the water (And decrease the sound), and then the tarp. The Light is about a foot under that, resting on the ground.

I tested it today, had the light on for an hour and a half, and although the plastic tarp did heat up, that is all that happened. We are putting finishing touches on the rain now, so we will see what ends up happening.

Maybe put a few layers of plastic as a backup, or make sure that the light isn't completely enclosed.

I too agree LED would be the best, except we don't have enough money to purchase LED lights for this. No one is actually walking on the tarp.

Have you considered renting? There are a lot of rental houses in the Toronto area that could rent you an IP65 LED. Another option is a lexan panel instead of a tarp. I worry that the tarp is going to droop due to the heat and/or water accumulation.

I'd make the bottom of the catch basin out of 1/2" Lexan then use Pond rated, low voltage fixtures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back