Lighting Visualization Software AND HARDWARE

abomb123

So, I'm looking at getting a Lighting 3D Visualizer. I want to run a console and and have another computer capture the DMX signals I'm sending and make a 3D visualization of it. There looks like some cool software for it. HOWEVER, what USB to DMX hardware works with what? I see Martin has one. but is there a cheeper solution that captures the signals out there?

Is there someone out there that is doing this and what did you use?

So, I'm looking at getting a Lighting 3D Visualizer. I want to run a console and and have another computer capture the DMX signals I'm sending and make a 3D visualization of it. There looks like some cool software for it. HOWEVER, what USB to DMX hardware works with what? I see Martin has one. but is there a cheeper solution that captures the signals out there?

Is there someone out there that is doing this and what did you use?

As a die-hard WYSIWYG user I would reccommend Wyg. I have programmed Hogs (iii) and Ma1 series console outputting artnet from the desk directly to my laptop. Addtitionally, for Ma1, I have run Ma On PC, their PC version and programmed directly to Wyg on the same laptop. This worked early in my Hog career but as the OS got updated I found that not to be the case. Ma is my preferred platform and it is very easy to move between desk, laptop and Wyg...Once you have the correct setup.

Expensive however. If you have a short term gig you might look into a Pre-Vis studio, or leasing a dongle.

Thanks all for your help. I think I will go with the martin path. They are releaseing Martin PC for free soon and I'll buy there visualizer. That way I can set up a few monitors and practice. I have been doing lighting for a few years now and I sick of just doing tech work and very little console time for events. This will get me up to speed on something. I do know the hog a little. a church is letting me come by and learn the console (not a bad deal). Hopfully I can expand to the Hog 4 on my pc and set it up with the Martin Visualizer.

so is Grand MA giving away there visualization software for free on there web site or is that a demo to download?

With the MA stuff, it only works with MA boards/software. There are ways you can kind of rig it to accept an art-net input but the heads are quite limited. If I recall, you can't use the newer MA 2 software this way.

Capture is by far the cheapest way of getting a good visualizer. The Martin stuff is good, but the licensing pay-per-year crap doesn't do it for me.

Have you seen the Capture Polar visualization software? They offer different 4 versions, begining with the free Student version which allows you to become familiar with their software without needing to make a purchase. Our DMX controller and software (the BlueLite X1 or X1-Mini ) can integrate with the Capture Polar software and you can download our software (also free) to control the Capture software in real time using the BlueLite software. Feel free to e-mail or PM me if I can answer any questions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back