Linking rooms with signal

Sorry, perhaps I was getting a few different threads confused. I thought I rad something about adding a green room to a school theater.
Posted via Mobile Device

Chris is correct, I am in an arena with associated rooms. There was another thread about connecting dressing rooms in a school but that wasn't me. I am a light guy but I am also an electrician so the cable pulling is nothing. My lack of knowledge is in what types of cable and equipment works best in a sound system. Once I have the pieces I can get it all in place, then I will have a local sound company come in and tie it together.
I have worked for the arena longer than the current building has been there and have always been the get it done guy. As well as being the steward, I am the senior rigger, safety officer and trainer of forklifts and man lifts. They are used to presenting a problem and I solve it, not always well but I will solve it.
I work outside the building on other events and do regional tours.

Yes, I have decided to hard wire the rooms to a common location, make a patch bay so link or unlink as needed, then run a homerun to the main sound room. I am going to use another sound company to do the work. The only remaining question is should it run run mic level or line level?
The main room I am originating from currently has two clusters, a main and a delay. I am adding steel beams this summer for ease of rigging and the suggestion has made to change from two clusters to one center cluster. I currently have one round of speakers on each rack and need to add a second layer to proper cover the first and second floor. Since there are six on one and three on the other, by going to a center cluster I only need an additional three to cover everything. Also, it saves having to set delay times. They keep on and I may actually learn a little sound. I got the crash course on the board the other day.

Run line level unless for some reason you can't. You're talking about 100mV vs 1V and so you'll pick up less noise on a line level run. The other thing is that to get your output down to line level you'll have to pad it and so you're adding more potential for noise etc...

Besides, mic level will need a preamp at the receiving end, another source for noise...

Take your signal off the input to your DSP pre delays etc...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back