Lion in Winter Lighting help

amberjel

I'm in the process of lighting "Lion in Winter" and need some help. The set is battleship grey. I need a cool wash that is not going to reflect off the set like crazy and doesn't turn the actors blue. Any thoughts? I currently have R60 up, but am not happy with it. I was thinking of changing to R64 or R65. Is there a different cool I could use other than blue? Thanks!!

Cool and warm are relative. Add a warm highlight (straw, pale amber, suggested fireplace or some such) and you can make anything else seem cool by comparison. With a warm highlight you can extend your cool palette well into the lavender range and have it seem cool by comparison. As a caveat, color choice is very subjective.

Last edited:
I would experiment with some of the pale cool lavs, like R55, R54. Even R53 for very pale. I find them nicer on skin than your R60 or 61. Personal preference. And to agree with sk8rsdad, color perception is all about color combination. I usually go for a more saturated wash with a less saturated highlight (usually from a steep angle, often with a gobo). If you wash the stage uniformly, your eye will correct it toward white.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back