"Load" Button

I don't have an answer, but I was definitely wondering this myself. We're going to be getting an Element within the next few weeks and in my effort to brush up on the board before we get it, this is one thing that was confusing me. As far as I can tell, though I'm fairly certain I'm wrong, they have the same function...

I believe this is accurate:
[GotoQ] X
[*] puts Q X onstage in the time programmed. One can use [GotoQ] X [Time] Y
[*] to fade to Q X in a different time. The change begins as soon as [Enter] is pressed.

[Load] (Cue) X
[*] puts Q X next in the cue stack to be executed with the [GO] button. The change doesn't appear onstage until the [GO] button is pressed, and thus may be used for running cues in non-sequential order.

Both methods can achieve the same results, but they are slightly different functions.

As an EOS user I would use the [load] button to load a cue in to the playback fader so that it would take at the next press of [go]. I would also use it along with the [timing disable] [release] [manual override] buttons.

I believe the correct sytax for the go button on an EOS/ION/Element is [cue] xx [load]

-Bryan

Derekleffew is correct. And just to elaborate the GotoQ button goes directly to the designated cue in a designated time, (that I believe you can customize in setup) such as 2 seconds. It does not take into account the timing of the cue, parts, delays, etc. It just gets you to the "end state" of the cue in 2 seconds, (or whatever amount of time you assign in the execution of the cue). This would be used during tech or notes or something similar when you just want to get to a certain place in the cuelist. The Load button loads the designated cue into the cuelist, but that's it. It does not go to that cue. It sets it up to be the next cue, so that when you hit the Go button, that cue fades in the designated time, parts, delays, etc. A common use of this would be during a performance and either you/SM forgot to take a cue or the actor skips over a section. In a live performance you wouldn't want to just jump through cues when there aren't suppose to be cues to catch up, would you? But also don't want to use GotoQ because then you ruin the integrity of the cue (timing, parting, etc.). So, you load the next cue you want into the fader and hit Go when the SM tells you to.

Hope that helps,
-Tim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back