Look what we found

porkchop

Here's a fun thing we found in our road crates:

IMG_20110724_132627.jpg

IMG_20110724_132653.jpg

At first we thought this was some kind of ghetto 5 to 3 pin splitter, then we looked at the pin out:

Male Pin 1: Pin 1 of female A & B
Male Pin 2: Pin 2 of female A
Male Pin 3: Pin 3 of female A
Male Pin 4: Pin 2 of female B
Male Pin 5: Pin 3 of female B

Sometimes people confuse me.

Actually more common then you think. Its used to put two universes down one line. In fact, AVO consoles actually output two universes on one jack. VERY commonly done in the R&R world. It works just fine as well. No point in wasting a pair of copper.

Handy for pushing U1 and U2 down the same cable. Only one problem, there is a lot of DMX cable out there (even by better brands) that is actually 4 wires twisted together as compared to two separate twisted pairs. On that type of cable there can be big problems pushing more than 1 DMX signal. You may still be able to push a COM through it.

Found an explanation, and you all are a little optimistic for the people I work with. This little doozy was made to send our 5 wire Pyro signal down the two clear-com channels in our FOH snake. Only to be merged later to go into a slave. I'm really happy I was never on the unit when this was common practice and will make sure it never is again.

There are also microphones that have a five pin male on the bottom, and use an identical cable to break it back out to 2x male 3-pin XLR's, one for each element.

I always spec my 5 pin dmx cable as two pairs so that it can be used as 2 universes (very common on avo consoles) and I have ran across all sorts of hazers and other effects that use a 5 pin cable between the device and controller so it makes it real easy to extend out there controllers using dmx cable. The price isn't much more and you never know when you may need it.

There are also microphones that have a five pin male on the bottom, and use an identical cable to break it back out to 2x male 3-pin XLR's, one for each element.

I would have to agree. I've seen these cables used before to break each side of a stereo microphone into two separate channels. Though, it's not out of the realm of possibility that this is DMX related cable, Whirlwind is a company that seems to be primarily focused on audio related products. If it were me, I wouldn't risk using it with DMX devices for the sheer reason that it's probably an XLR cable your dealing with.

Though, it's not out of the realm of possibility that this is DMX related cable, Whirlwind is a company that seems to be primarily focused on audio related products.

The fact that there are two Whirlwind connectors has nothing to do with its use. The female is not Whirlwind and it's obviously a homemade adapter. We already have an answer. It was used for pyro data signal.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back