Outboard Gear Looking for a Click Track Solution

Re: Way to have a visible click?

I think the latency issues that we used to see are a thing of the past. We never heard a singer or our Maestro complain.
Latency in LCD response is generally greatly improved but it can also depend on the source and path. If you have a digital camera with a direct digital output into a digital display, then latency will be minimized. However, if your camera has a digital sensor that has to convert that into an analog signal that then goes through a production switcher with digital effects the output of which is then sent analog to the digital display, you start getting multiple latencies stacking on one another. The closer you can come to a direct camera sensor to actual display path, the better.

My church replaced the old CRT's with Vizio LCD's for our Singing Christmas Tree last year. No problems with latency, no complaints or timing issues.

Edit: As Brad said though, cascading latencies can be an issue. Anytime I setup a conductor relay I go straight from camera to monitor, with only a distribution amp in between, if necessary. No switchers!

I just talked to my conductor this morning. He is actually wanting this all the time and not just for our Christmas production. He said the players actually turned down in-ears years ago before I was hired. Apparently the problem is because during the church worship no one actually conducts the orch and they have trouble keeping up...so they say. Really half the people don't play but only pretend to and our cameras catch it every week. Lucking we have stacks to fill in the parts they don't/can't play. Now that this is going to be a perminate thing I'm going to rethink how I want to handle it because I don't want a flashing light on stage or visible to the audience at all. And since there is no conductor on Sunday morning video is out. Oh well. But on the plus side he did say he would lay the MIDI into the click each for each song so that helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back