Automated Fixtures Looking for a Good Fixture for a Better Price

Adam,
I don't think most of the people on here are trying to jump on you about the cable coiling (if you don't do the over/under thing with the cables, ask someone experienced to show you in person-- it is important). I think that is GREAT that you want to really jump in! Just be prepared that you may not make that much money from this and chances are you will be struggling to get anyone to rent it. I am only a year older than you and I don't have a ton of moving light experience, but I will say you should try to get a 575W light. The 250's are pretty useless if there is any other light. Also I would suggest you find and make friends with experienced ML tech for whatever kind of fixtures you get and ask them to teach you how to maintain the lights properly as well as do at least field-repair level repair work. Unless you go through major training chances are you will have to send the fixtures out for repair some (more $$$).

I would give you more specific suggestions, but I really don't know enough... I prefer VL to Martin in terms of performance and they *seem* to be more reliable. The Macs seem to be easier to repair and clean though (all based on limited experience).

Good Luck! And you aren't the only one with age struggles ...

It really depends on what you want.

• How much?
  • Profile or Wash?
  • Colour Mixing?
  • What type of lamp, 575w, 700w, ect.
There is heaps more, but with some of this info people can start making suggestions about what products would fit your needs.

Nick

If I were you I'd buy some studio spot 575's. You wont sell to schools with just having washes. They want patterns. I have sold several schools studio spot 575's and they have been great. They are very low maintance compaired to all of the other moving lights I work on. If you look hard enough you can find the CMY versions that support color mixing, but you can mix almost any color using the 2 color wheels in the unit. Also if you would like later on you can buy a zoom module that will give you controllable zoom, but to save money to get your business up and going you can buy lenses in different degrees. The studio spot is made by highend systems. Read up on their stuff along with other manufacturers just so you know if a schools says well company x is supply this you know how to compaire what you have to theirs. I may have a jands echelon (hog 1000) I may part with cheap. It works great, but it needs the main LCD replaced, it flickers and displays weird bars.

To respond to your question on the Entour, it's a wonderful fixture. The second gobo wheel is a very nice range of breakups, and 'cause it's a newer fixture, it is continuously able to beat 12 to 14 year old MAC500s in output 'cause of how ancient those things are (also probably factor in that they aren't cleaned regularly and that the lamps may have been older).

You might also look at a Coemar or Clay Paky 300 watt unit. Infinity Spot S or Alpha Spot 300 or 300 HPE. Expensive little guys, though!

Thirdly, Robe is good stuff, I'm personally a fan of their scanners (ya know, since they actually still make a good 575 watt scanner and all unlike the rest of the manufactureres).

As someone who rents to and rents from, the answer lies mostly in your customers. Who are they, what do they want, what is their budget, etc. If your family has been in the rental industry for years then you'll know that it's more important for you to have what your customer wants than what you like. And yes, you'll need cable, power, etc. And you'll need contacts. This industry is too small to make enemies, so get to know all the big players.

The other issue is your location. Richmond is a haul from the city, and there is a lot of competition between the Sears (now Willis) Tower and you. Which means that customers need an incentive to make the trip. Or look north to Wisconsin and west to Iowa for customers.

There's a lot more to it, but until we know what your knowledge baseline is, it's pointless telling you a lot of stuff you already know.

I dont know a whole lot about movers. I know basically how they work; that each feature is controlled by one channel and fuctions according to the current value of that channel. I dont know how to service them (yet... but I'm pretty handy) and if I have to send them out, or take a training course, so be it.

What I'm really looking for are some good fixtures that can be used for a multitude of applications. Ofcouse the primary function will be stage use. But I also want something that can be used in other settings just to get peoples attention i.e. a tradeshow booth.

My primary demographic is local high schools since very few have a huge budget. Considering I'm only looking to start with four lights I dont think I will be targeting large theaters, just local community troupes.

Hope that helps with the baseline knowledge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back