Looking for a lighting vendor, recommendations?

Does anyone know any reliable vendors in New Hampshire? I'm looking to get some quotes for lighting upgrades at my high school, and I'm not sure where to begin.

I'll see if PORT Lighting is willing to come my way. I'm in Laconia, which is up in the Lakes Region. Too far for Boston, too far for Vermont. Seabrook is the seacoast, but maybe only an hour or so from us.

For a specialty vendor in rural New England, an hour is close, my friend. In Laconia, I would be looking at Dark Star, PORT, and the whole Boston market. You are not going to get anything closer. What kind of upgrades are we talking? What kind of budget?

-Tim

Trucks go on the road and drive very well, in fact they are designed for that exact thing.

I'm in the base of the Adirondacks and our backline vendor is in Vermont... and they are here weekly. I would not discount BMI (Queensbury NY), Production Advantage (Williston VT), Limelight (Pittsfield MA), Creative Stage Lighting (North Creek NY), and anyone in the Boston area. ALL of these companies are short on work right now and will be very competitive with each other. You might think your in some small town in the woods, but so are all of these companies. Hell, Creative Stage Lighting is the 2nd largest employer in the town its in after the ski resort that is there.

Yeah, in this economy, especially in an area like that, an hour is local. We service people up to 4 hours away and consider ourselves "local" to them.

Mike

What kind of upgrades are we talking? What kind of budget?

I'm looking to upgrade my dimmers, and possibly some of my fixtures. I don't know what kind of budget yet, because I have to get a few quotes, and then convince the school board and the city council we need it, or, baring that, sell a lot of candy and lobby local businesses. I currently run 4 LMI SD-12s (mounted in my booth), and 4 NSI ND-4600 dimmer packs (semi-permanently mounted on the lighting grid itself). And several of my fixtures are so old, the cords are asbestos clad.

I'm looking to upgrade my dimmers, and possibly some of my fixtures. I don't know what kind of budget yet, because I have to get a few quotes, and then convince the school board and the city council we need it, or, baring that, sell a lot of candy and lobby local businesses. I currently run 4 LMI SD-12s (mounted in my booth), and 4 NSI ND-4600 dimmer packs (semi-permanently mounted on the lighting grid itself). And several of my fixtures are so old, the cords are asbestos clad.

Are you handling all the aspects of specifications, design, installation, code compliance ?. If you were simply replacing a console and need fixtures, then going to any of the recommended dealers would serve you just fine. The minute you start talking about replacing permanently installed racks (if they are), even portable type, with another permanent system, you might need services that a basic dealer doesn't provide, namely creating a complete document set that handles the purchase and installation. That usually means either a Lighting Consultant or a systems integrator. Barbizon might then be a good choice, as they can write up all the documents needed to get the stuff purchased and installed. Note that some of the vendors listed might handle integration as well, but Barbizon is also located in Boston (2 hrs ?).

Are you handling all the aspects of specifications, design, installation, code compliance ?.

No. If I go ahead with new dimmers, I'll get someone who does installed systems. Turns out PORT lighting did the install for the new auditorium in the school just north of us, so they're a good choice. I'll try Barbizan for a second quote.

If I just change a couple of the fixtures, I can do it myself. I move them around enough, after all.

I feel like their has got to be some sort of grant out there from the feds for replacement of asbestos equipment. Worth investigating to help with the cost?

I feel like their has got to be some sort of grant out there from the feds for replacement of asbestos equipment. Worth investigating to help with the cost?

I can't believe there is still asbestos equipment out there. Not only is it crappy, but it is actually dangerous to your health.

Anyone got a theater still using a piano dimming console?

actually yes. I was transplanted to another high school while the one I was at got a building reno, the place they moved to had a wall full of piano dimmers. so they are still around and in use in some places.

...Anyone got a theater still using a piano dimming console?

...the place they moved to had a wall full of piano dimmers.
Sorry guys, my pedanticism (pedantic-ness?) is kicking in. Unless it's 12x6k or 14x3k plates in a metal-lined wooden case, it's not a piano board, it's a dimmer, resistance installation. Calling a direct-control (or "manual") dimming system a "console" is quite the bit of a stretch. Do a CB search for Frank Adams and I think you'll come up with at least two resistance dimmer systems. I wonder if ETC has a piano board in its control museum? Some time ago meatpopsicle was searching for one as a prop for a video shoot. I don't recall if he ever sourced one.

Consider me educated.

We had a large 24 dimmer board at UT in our lighting museum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back