Control/Dimming Looking for a Single Channel or Fader Control

Rob Fulton

Our Lab Theatre is used as a classroom. There is a rep plot ready for use. I'm trying to find the simplest, idiot-proof, control for this plot. In my imagination there is a run of DMX into a single fader that controls one channel into which I've patched the 12 dimmers the rep plot is circuited to. This control would function in a binary state, one for ON and zero for OFF. This would allow ANYONE to come into the room and turn the rep plot on.

Any thoughts?

I just don't care about your problem. Sorry, not sorry. ;)

proxy.php

http://www.dfd.com/ap.html

Only $237 MSRP.

(Posted simultaneously with the above.)

Last edited:
Our Lab Theatre is used as a classroom. There is a rep plot ready for use. I'm trying to find the simplest, idiot-proof, control for this plot. In my imagination there is a run of DMX into a single fader that controls one channel into which I've patched the 12 dimmers the rep plot is circuited to. This control would function in a binary state, one for ON and zero for OFF. This would allow ANYONE to come into the room and turn the rep plot on.

Any thoughts?
@Rob Fulton What console, make and model, presently controls your system? [Be it dimmers, non-dims, incandescents, fluorescents. LED's no matter what] Regardless of your quantities and types of loads, what is your console?
My thinking is a simple remotely located normally open mechanically latching single pole toggle or push button connected via a 2 conductor cable to terminals already in place on the rear of your console to provide remote operation such as: Calling up a stored preset, submaster, group or cue saved in your console for the sole purpose of allowing illumination of sources of your choosing to levels of your choosing 24/7/365 by anyone with access to the space WITHOUT giving them access to your board or booth or allowing them to choose which lights to utilize or at which levels. With many consoles you could have the lights ramp gently up in 3 seconds and possibly fade out in 20 seconds to allow users to safely exit the room. This would be simple and practically "dirt cheap" to facilitate with a great many popular consoles.
Normally such external control contacts are included to facilitate interconnection with fire alarm panels where authorities may decree ALL lights to 100% in a zero count and won't want to hear about how little illumination your Roscolux #85 back lights are providing while they're burning holes through your gel OR they're often employed to facilitate cleaning when they normally only burn selected fixtures of your choosing rather then putting untold hours of extra time on your revenue generating fixtures. For how I'm interpreting your request, this seems to me to be a reasonable, time and cost effective approach to meeting your needs with a couple of gentle fades included as subtle bonuses. Please do tell the make and model of your present control console and I suspect a myriad of our experts will scamper to your aid. Alternately, you can spend more money and make things as complicated as you like. I suspect you could also post a note outside in the illuminated corridor where kids from 6 to 60 could read instructions for calling up illumination with the cell phone babies are being born with attached to their palms.
Please forgive this old blind geezer for scoffing at our present generation.
My great granddaughter is still of an age where she snoozes a lot while sporting her tiny shirt stating: "There's a nap for that!"
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

@Rob Fulton What console, make and model, presently controls your system? [Be it dimmers, non-dims, incandescents, fluorescents. LED's no matter what] Regardless of your quantities and types of loads, what is your console?
My thinking is a simple remotely located normally open mechanically latching single pole toggle or push button connected via a 2 conductor cable to terminals already in place on the rear of your console to provide remote operation such as: Calling up a stored preset, submaster, group or cue saved in your console for the sole purpose of allowing illumination of sources of your choosing to levels of your choosing 24/7/365 by anyone with access to the space WITHOUT giving them access to your board or booth or allowing them to choose which lights to utilize or at which levels. With many consoles you could have the lights ramp gently up in 3 seconds and possibly fade out in 20 seconds to allow users to safely exit the room. This would be simple and practically "dirt cheap" to facilitate with a great many popular consoles.
Normally such external control contacts are included to facilitate interconnection with fire alarm panels where authorities may decree ALL lights to 100% in a zero count and won't want to hear about how little illumination your Roscolux #85 back lights are providing while they're burning holes through your gel OR they're often employed to facilitate cleaning when they normally only burn selected fixtures of your choosing rather then putting untold hours of extra time on your revenue generating fixtures. For how I'm interpreting your request, this seems to me to be a reasonable, time and cost effective approach to meeting your needs with a couple of gentle fades included as subtle bonuses. Please do tell the make and model of your present control console and I suspect a myriad of our experts will scamper to your aid. Alternately, you can spend more money and make things as complicated as you like. I suspect you could also post a note outside in the illuminated corridor where kids from 6 to 60 could read instructions for calling up illumination with the cell phone babies are being born with attached to their palms.
Please forgive this old blind geezer for scoffing at our present generation.
My great granddaughter is still of an age where she snoozes a lot while sporting her tiny shirt stating: "There's a nap for that!"
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.
No amount of notes will stop someone from ignoring what to do. You should know that one by now.

My vote is for the Unity switch. But with no information about what you have were grasping right now.

No amount of notes will stop someone from ignoring what to do. You should know that one by now.

My vote is for the Unity switch. But with no information about what you have were grasping right now.
@Amiers "Read my lips" [& Re-read my previous post] No notes. One N.O. S.P.S.T. mechanically latching push button or toggle connected via a 2 conductor cable to a console's rear panel contacts often routinely provided for calling up specified submasters, groups, presets, or cues and generally used to facilitate interconnection with fire alarm panels or simple controls for cleaners.
When I suggested instructions posted outside in the illuminated corridor for the convenience pf cell phone devotees from 6 to 60
I was merely ragging on today's generation born with cell phones as essentially growths on their tiny palms.
You've got to have noticed EVERYONE asks "Is there an app' for that?"
Hence my great granddaughter, who's still of an age where she's forever snoozing, proudly sports a shirt boldly stating:
"Tnere's a nap for that!" Get with the program @Amiers ! In today's age, if you can't do it with you're cell phone, it's not worth doing.
This blind old geezer's tongue is stuck firmly in his cheek.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

Are there dimmers and is there a console?
@BillConnerFASTC Quoting directly from the OP's initial post: "There is a rep plot ready for use. I'm trying to find the simplest, idiot-proof, control for this plot. In my imagination there is a run of DMX into a single fader that controls one channel into which I've patched the 12 dimmers the rep plot is circuited to. This control would function in a binary state, one for ON and zero for OFF. This would allow ANYONE to come into the room and turn the rep plot on. "
Note @Rob Fulton speaks of one channel (Which I gather suggests some manner of console) and "12 dimmers". Thus Rob definitely has dimmers.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

Maybe I'm just missing the joke, but the Lightronics APP01 is just a hardware store switch that must be used with their SR series architectural controllers or the AR1202 dimmer cabinet.

@BillConnerFASTC Quoting directly from the OP's initial post: "There is a rep plot ready for use. I'm trying to find the simplest, idiot-proof, control for this plot. In my imagination there is a run of DMX into a single fader that controls one channel into which I've patched the 12 dimmers the rep plot is circuited to. This control would function in a binary state, one for ON and zero for OFF. This would allow ANYONE to come into the room and turn the rep plot on. "
Note @Rob Fulton speaks of one channel (Which I gather suggests some manner of console) and "12 dimmers". Thus Rob definitely has dimmers.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

So there are dimmers or all LED? That would seem to make a difference in how one would go about this. What is a lab theatre in this case? And there isn't an entry panel already? I've never worked on a space where there wasn't an entry panel, which basically recalls presets, and couldn't be programmed to do this. Too many unknowns to find the best approaches. I suspect using inputs on the rack - possibly the "panic" function - is the simplest path to an on off switch - but then I think rack and it could be a load of TTI MDS packs - the ubiquitous blue 6 packs that keep on working (yes - I know they were originally 0-10 v analog but that doesn't exclude dmx control)

PS - I don't think an approach that relies on console being there and on is a good one, as another thread showed.

many vendors offer such a device, I am not stuck with a DFD solution. The suggested Unity product appears to be a small part of a larger install.
I do believe that if you do a search for "dmx recorder" and or "dmx playback" you will find many products that may satisfy your needs.
such a device captures / records and stores dmx data from an existing control desk for stand alone playback.

If the dimmers have built in back up - like at least ETC does - simple and inexpensive solutions to recall those back up presets.

So, we have ETC cem+ racks that we can use.

I have no idea how to set up the rack so that the "Panic [mode] can be activated via an external switch closure," as the manual states. Any helpful videos out there?

There probably isn't a video since it is the sort of thing that would normally be done by a technician, but the configuration manual explains how to use it. I'm not sure there's a video for how to run control wire between the switch and the dimmer rack following LOTO to access the backplane of the CEM.

Basically you record a panic preset then use either the N/C or N/O contacts to trigger it from your fire panel or something similar.

Some additional parameters determine what happens with any other dimmers that are active when the panic is triggered. A typical configuration would be to turn on house lights and any egress path lighting and turn off everything else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back