looking for ideas

Looking for ideas!! Has anyone built a pole building theatre? And if so how did you do your rigging for lights, and catwalks etc.? Does anyone have any ideas on this? It would be for a flexible " Black Box" theatre set up. Thank you.

To Offer any advice, we have a "few" questions. First, is the building already built or still on paper? What size is the facility (planed or fact). How many square feet have you allocated to audience, stage, support areas (offstage wings) dressing rooms, shop or tech areas? Will scenery/props be built on or off site.

If the building is still in planning stages, do you have any direct input to how it is done? What kind of budget is set up for the building?

On the other hand, if the building is already built ( or so far along that it is a defacto structure) what kind of budget do you have for working on lighting positions and such? What is the roof height at the stage area, what kind of loading can the roof sustain?

Lots of questions, shoot us some answers.

When you say pole shed, do you mean wood structure with wood trusses, or metal strand building? If you are doing wood trusses, you can slide steel I beams across the trusses, but this requires an engineer to decide where, how, and what size. Do not skip this step, you are hanging things above peoples heads. If it is a metal building there are ways to hang beams or attach them but again get an engineer involved.
Even if you have a person experienced and feels confident making a call on how to do it, you still have to get an OP from the building inspector. You hang big heavy things over the audience and it isn't on the plans, you better have drawings and numbers from the man with the degree.

I've worked on a few projects where a steel skeleton has been erected inside an existing building; walk on grid and all. This has been done because the building is old, not designed for the load of modern stage rigging and/or of historic significance. Costs vary and are not cheap, hundreds of thousands, but well under a million from what I've seen. (All typical stages) RCS Group in Jacksonville, FL does this type of work. They team with Entertainment Structures to do the engineering. I'd give RCS a call, 904-608-5303.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back