Looking for Quiet (REALLY Quiet) Wash Mover

seanandkate

Premium Member
Fight Leukemia
I'm on the hunt for a moving wash light for a small black box space. The problem is that the instrument would literally be about 3' over the heads of some of the audience. Figuring an LED mover would be quieter, I test drove the Rogue 1 and 2 Wash, and I was still getting about 35dB of fan noise at audience level even at rest. Does anyone make a wash mover with the noise level of a (now defunct) SmartMac?

I'm on the hunt for a moving wash light for a small black box space. The problem is that the instrument would literally be about 3' over the heads of some of the audience. Figuring an LED mover would be quieter, I test drove the Rogue 1 and 2 Wash, and I was still getting about 35dB of fan noise at audience level even at rest. Does anyone make a wash mover with the noise level of a (now defunct) SmartMac?
An I-Mirror is as close to silent as you could hope for if it can cover the beam angle you need. Even color scrollers can be pretty quiet if you ask them to change colors slowly, a sixty second fade between colors if you've the time to wait for them.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

[Rant warning] I have a question, why don't companies spend the couple bucks and install good quality silent, or even speed controlled fans? There's absolutely no reason for a constant 100% roar I hear coming out of most fixtures...

What about a Mac Aura? I've never taken a db meter to one, but I also can't say that I've every heard one.

The specs are almost exactly what I'm looking for ( punchier than the MH6) if it's quiet.

[Rant warning] I have a question, why don't companies spend the couple bucks and install good quality silent, or even speed controlled fans? There's absolutely no reason for a constant 100% roar I hear coming out of most fixtures...

You answered your own question. It costs more, which shrinks the profit margin. Theatres, film and TV might be willing to pay more for a quiet fixture but a DJ, bar, dance hall, or arena tour won't.

That's true, but when they cost as much as they do...

I mean, cheap $100 moving heads? They can get away with sounding like a jet engine. I'd expect a bit more from something costing 5-20 times more than that.

The auras are damn near silent when not in motion or zooming. They have a variable fan speed, and the high output is rarely needed. They can get quite noisy when moving quickly, and the zoom isn't as quiet as you'd like. Just like your previous, I'd get it in your space. We use them all the time, even for theatrical events, but I've never had one 3 feet from an audience member and needed them to be silent at the same time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back