Mixers/Consoles LS9 Question re: Layers

rholler

Our church just got a new LS9-32, and we're trying to find our way around it.

We have an upcoming event that will involve having 2 different bands performing alternating sets throughout the day. My question is -- can I set up one band on Layer 1 (i.e. ch 1-32), and then setup the 2nd band on Layer 2 (i.e. ch 33-64), so that each can have their own unique channel layout and settings, and we can then just switch between them simply by switching from one layer to the other?

I realize that I can get each band setup, and then save each of their settings to a unique file on a USB flash drive, and then "recall" them as needed. But it would be a lot simpler and quicker to just switch between the 2 layers with the press of a single button. (tho there may be other negative implications that I'm not aware of, as we're not at all familiar with the board yet)

I searched the LS9 owners manual, but couldn't really find an answer to this, or even an adequate explaination of how the 2nd layer might be used. (?)

-Richard

I don't have time to get into the details so excuse me for being brief, but no, you should not do that. 33-64 are intended for additional inputs if you get add-on cards, although you can patch inputs 1-32 to that layer.

Rather than record separate show files or use the second layer, you should look into how to record/recall presets.

Actually, you absolutely can do that as long as you are only using the boards stock 32 inputs. Just patch each input to multiple channels.

Err...factually -- yes, you can go that route, but it's a terrible way to manage your workflow and is impractical to both setup as well as use. It also only works if you have just two bands.

It may get you through this event, but it's not a method for setting up your console that scales (at all) up with more complex events.

Learn to use presets -- it's the only sane way to setup an LS9 console for an event like this.

The main problem with doing it the layer way is that the head amps are shared. So immediately there is no point in saving anything or trying reuse channels. Do one band, save it as a scene (right to the console, you don't have to have a USB stick), do the other, save it, then just switch between scenes. It's two more button presses than switching layers; it's not going to save you any time by using two layers.

Now, if you still want to use the second layer then the only sane way to do that is to expand those channels by adding external preamps. Now that you have a full 64 channel console you have separate control over each one. But really, you're going to use a 64 channel console when a 32 channel one will do exactly what you want?

Rather than record separate show files or use the second layer, you should look into how to record/recall presets.

Actually, I do already know how to save and recall presets. I was just looking for a quicker and easier way to switch between the 2 sets of settings (i.e.with just a single button press). But I do now understand why trying to do this via the 2 "layers" is not really feasible.

-Rich

I believe you can set the user defined keys to increment/decrement the scenes. Check out the manual or the console to confirm.

You can program a user defined key to direct recall a scene, which would be faster than switching layers (or just as fast I guess). You could also put some channels on "safe", for example...you're talkback mic, the announcement mic, CD player, etc, so that they don't change when you switch scenes. Then all that's changing are the channels for the bands themselves.

Trust me, this is how you want to do this gig. I work on an LS9 daily and we use over 100 scenes for various groups and bands and it is the ONLY way to go in this scenario.

You can program a user defined key to direct recall a scene, which would be faster than switching layers (or just as fast I guess). You could also put some channels on "safe", for example...you're talkback mic, the announcement mic, CD player, etc, so that they don't change when you switch scenes. Then all that's changing are the channels for the bands themselves.

Great suggestion(s), thanks!

The main problem with doing it the layer way is that the head amps are shared.

OK, I know I'm being picky, but where did the term "head amp" come from? It sounds like something a bass player would conjure up. Are you referring to the mic preamps? Let's use correct terminology here. :)

OK, I know I'm being picky, but where did the term "head amp" come from? It sounds like something a bass player would conjure up. Are you referring to the mic preamps? Let's use correct terminology here. :)

I'm not sure the history of the term, but it is the "correct" way to refer to the preamps on Yamaha digital consoles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back