Digital Surfaces LS9 Stagemix & iPad -- Static or DHCP?

rholler

I'm trying to get Stagemix up and running on my new iPad2 with our LS9-32. But I'm running into wireless connection problems -- Stagemix will connect to the LS9 and work just fine, but only for a few minutes,when I will then loose the connection and re-connect. It just keeps going thru this cycle over and over again every few seconds/minutes.

The Stagemix documentation says that "The iPad needs to be given a static IP address in the same range as the LS9’s IP Address", so that's how I set mine up, and it connects just fine -- it just won't *hold* the connection for any length of time, which makes it worthless as a tool to actually use. But I've also read comments online that say using DHCP is the proper way to setup the iPad's network settings.

Is there actually a right and wrong choice here? Or will both DHCP or Static work equally well? And if I'm barking up the wrong tree, does anyone have any suggestions on what might be causing my recurring lost connection and re-sync cycles?

What else could be on the network that may cause issues? It should be set to static on that network so nothing changes, AFAIK.

You might also want to verify that you are selecting a static IP that is not already in use on the network. It sounds like you might have an IP conflict and when the other device communicates it disrupts your communication.

We have encountered the same problem and have improved the situation slightly by making sure the only devices on the network are the board, the DSP and the I-pad. We have set it to static and disabled the DCHP server, SSID broadcast and firewall settings.

It is still unclear what causes the sync issues. It seems to be better when we are right on top of the router rather than all the way across the auditorium. Of course, that subverts the whole wireless aspect of the set up.:rolleyes:

We have found that the performance with the LS9 is much faster than with the M7. This makes us think that the sheer volume of data the app/I-pad is trying to process is part of the issue.

Our next step is trying the set up with stagemix on a mac book and seeing if the greater processing power leads to a more stable connection.

Paul

Here is another suggestion, go to your Ls9 and change the 192.168.0.128 for example to 192.168.1.128 this sets up another network, and then go to your ipad and setup for example 192.168.1.127
this will keep you (USUALLY) away from other devices on 0

basically what you are trying to do is make sure that NO OTHER device on your network has the same address.
Sharyn

Thanks for all the quick responses and suggestions. Unfortunately, I had already implemented them all -- the "network" is completely isolated and devoted to the LS9 (i.e. the only things connected are the computer, the LS9, and the wireless router -- no connection to the internet or any other computer or routers), the network IP has been changed from 192.168.0.x to 192.168.2.x, etc. So none of those common problem sources are in play here.

However, the good news is that I think I accidentally solved the problem last night. I remember someone suggesting going into the iPad WiFi settings, bringing up the connection used for the LS9, clicking the "forget this network" and then re-establishing the settings for it.. At the same time, I allowed the iPad to switch from Static to DCHP, and when I brought the system back up after those changes, everything suddenly began to work just fine. I let Stagemix run for about 30 minutes, and it didn't drop the connection 1 single time.

So (sound of me knocking on wood) all's well that ends well. Thanks everyone! (hopefully I won't be back here later crying that the problems are back).

-Rich

Is it still working for you rholler? I am having the same problem right now and planned to go trough the same steps as soon as I had some time. The iPad connection part makes sence. I tested the capability a few months ago before committing to buy an iPad and it worked great. Initial testing with our owned iPads worked great too for a week or so.

Download a network info app (can't remember what I've got - iPad isn't here) in order to see what all is on the network.

Try changing the router's channel.

Some devices don't like having a 0 as the third octet of the IP address (our Rane RPM88s for instance). Change that of the console (and of course everything else) to something different.

We've got the console, processor, wireless router, and PC working together wired with no troubles. Laptop or iPad can be used wirelessly to control the console (of PC control) with no troubles. This is the AV network. The broadcast ID is off, and a password is required for wireless access.

Additionally, the AV router is connected to another router that is connected to a laptop, which is connected via USB to the lighting console. This is the Lighting/Powerpoint network. The L/P router is connected to the building's DSL router, giving the AV and and L/P networks internet access. The L/P wireless is open for public access.

All IP addresses are static, save for public access. Those addresses are assigned by the DSL router.

I was having connectivity problems with my router (Apple Extreme) and iPad. Every 30 seconds or so it would drop the signal then immediately reconnect. But it's just long enough to miss guitar solos, turning off the verb between songs, etc. On the iPad I switched from DHCP to Static and it's been perfect ever since.

The network info apps I mentioned are Fing IP Scanner. They are limited to telling you about only 5 IP address on the network, but they are free. I believe there are full versions available for those who need too see all the the devices on a network.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back