Luminair to control movers? or Freestyler?

Pav636

Hey guys, Im looking into picking up a few elation platinum beam 5r's and I need a good controller for the following.

I am getting a 2 Leprecon dimmers to power lekos and about 4 Platinum beams and 2 Chauvet 250's with 20 LED pars for uplighting.

Now I have tried freestyler with the Enttec dmx pro and there was no fixture profile for me to get my NSI dimmer to even work and I also tried chamsys and that is way too confusing.

I have used MyDMX by ADj for the 2 Chauvets 250's and it is Ok, and easy but not much you can do. Have not looked in to showxpress.

I have looked a little into Luminair but I have found no one I can find that uses it for movers.

Is anyone in the northern CA area which can show me a demo on this or even (Or any controller) prove me wrong and show me a proper way with using freestyler again if that is my option as Light Jockey is out of the price range.

-Pav

What kind of shows are you doing? I use Luminair with movers for DJ gigs. That's about as complicated as I get with it. It's good enough for preprogramming scenes and running simple chases, but it has its limitations. Of course, one of those limitations is not being bound by cabling.

I do a lot of high end wedding receptions and smaller concerts. I know the support for Luminair is great, but for freestyler is lacks any support other then some forums. At times I need help with fixture profiles etc. I like the fact that There are no wires but is it enough justification for me to spend $250 on a enttec module and $100 for a airport express if its harder to use than freestyler. With that have you used any other programs?
-Pav

Have you looked at our BlueLite X1 controller (full disclosure... I manufacture and distribute them)? The X1 will output 4 DMX Universes, the X1-Min outputs a single Universe but the software allows for up to 16 DMX universes of control. (You can plug either 4 X1's or 4 X1-Mini's into a single system, plus we support ArtNet)
We already have templates (profiles) for the Platinum 5R's (plus a bunch of others) and you can either request additional templates or create you own as new fixtures become available. One 'bonus' feature we offer is that any moving fixture template that uses our Pan/Tilt control has a built-in 'Effect Generator' that will let select from preprogrammed patterns (circle, square, line, arc, spiral, etc.) and build that motion directly into the cues you'll create. Other features you might like is the ability to use an external DMX console as an external control, the Live Panel for chases/sequences (iPanel is now available to control Live Panel from your mobile device), SMPTE timecode input and output and event lists that let you sync shows to the SMPTE timeline. You can download the current software (V1.5a4) to test it, and I'll be happy to answer any questions you might have.

Have you looked at our BlueLite X1 controller (full disclosure... I manufacture and distribute them)? The X1 will output 4 DMX Universes, the X1-Min outputs a single Universe but the software allows for up to 16 DMX universes of control. (You can plug either 4 X1's or 4 X1-Mini's into a single system, plus we support ArtNet)
We already have templates (profiles) for the Platinum 5R's (plus a bunch of others) and you can either request additional templates or create you own as new fixtures become available. One 'bonus' feature we offer is that any moving fixture template that uses our Pan/Tilt control has a built-in 'Effect Generator' that will let select from preprogrammed patterns (circle, square, line, arc, spiral, etc.) and build that motion directly into the cues you'll create. Other features you might like is the ability to use an external DMX console as an external control, the Live Panel for chases/sequences (iPanel is now available to control Live Panel from your mobile device), SMPTE timecode input and output and event lists that let you sync shows to the SMPTE timeline. You can download the current software (V1.5a4) to test it, and I'll be happy to answer any questions you might have.

I will definitely look into this. I like the fact that it has built in effects similar to "MyDMX" if the support is there and I am able to call and get some one to help trouble shoot and fix issues Im all in. I am just trying to determain the cost of the usb to dmx dongle...I know most of them are very easy to build. PM me on the price you can work out.

-Pav

Users who are viewing this thread

Back