Mac 2K

I was wondering if ANYBODY has done any work with a MAC 2K? i have heard great reviews from people about them but iwas wondering if any one non here has worked with them. Please let me know ASAP

Its one of the most used fixtures in the martin arsenal. Its not their top of the line anymore, but its still a good fixture. I have used it numerous occasions. Which fixture model are you looking at?

I've used both the profile and wash version and found both to be solid dependable fixtures.

Yeah the Mac 2k is a great fixture. The actual beam size is slightly small for shorter throws (24'-25') but with the zoom its completely fine. Unlike the Krypton it has a 3 facet prism instead of a 4 facet. Overall a great fixture, are you looking at the profile or wash? Anything specific you would like to know?

I was originally looking at the Profiles but then i was the washes. I like both models and think they are both great i was just looking for some feedback on the user friendlyness of the lights themselves.
Mainly the profiles.

Still very much in use even if the XB or MAC III is out. My opionion, better than the VL-3K series at least in not overheating the lamps due to lack of dim down mode the Mac 2K has while shutters closed. Amazing how that dim down mode extends lamp life, much less given all the years of upgrade to the Mac 2K it does allow for an extended lamp life.

As lamp buyer/tracker, I think the best fixture on the market overall this even over FastFit and 1.5K and 2K lamp type fixtures. (though 1.2K fast fit lamps have improved some). As with the CyberLight 2.0, they in new technology only added a bit, but overall the technology on newer fixtures has not really advanced and the new lamps for them don't live even up to expected lamp life, they only in wattage "gone to 11" for output in higher wattages and mostly them new higher output lamps ain't living up to their lamp life in being worth the upgrade cost. Took a year or two for a fast fit 1.2Kw lamp to get up to over its expected lamp life but they still are having normal problems of single ended verses double ended lamps in not lasting as long.

Overall the Mac 2K uses a rock solid lamp that should last you over a thousand hours in lamp life without a problem - even if Phillips version of the lamp. This verses the same gear out these days with a few improvements - one or two perhaps but more powerful lamp that will cost more in the long run in not lasting as long before it overheats. This much less the say HTI 1200w/D7/60 lamp costs about half these days that of most modern lamps that won't last as long in lamp life. There is also alternate cheap say Eiko or Devine versions of such lamps sold even cheaper yet that might be as efficient. We are talking about if rated for 750 lamp hours as a standard moving light lamp and like over $250.00 for a modern other than Mac 2K lamp, but perhaps in the like $160.00 range (Me not knowing retail on either but knowing cost for them,) the more new or output the lamp the more it costs all with the same lamp life. The newer the fixture, the more it costs to lamp it with overall less realistic as refined over years of making them expected lamp life.

Which fixture is more efficient, a fixture with lamp that goes snowball by say 6-700 hours and melts down lampholders sooner or one that lasts on average well over a thousand hours (tracked up to over 3,000 hours on tour)before it snowballs even if only rated for 750 hours as common and would explode or outer pinch fail if other type or with more modern fixture using the same lamp fail faster?

From the lamp perspctive, the Mac 2K fixture line is the current best on the market. Mostly in new you get more punch - as if you really need it, but trade off lamp life. Want more power, as opposed to the normal 6K color temp. lamp, go with the 7.5K color temp. lamp for it so as to trick the eye if more punch is needed. Cheaper and easier than going higher wattage newer fixture and more cost effective in being brighter on stage at least given 1.2Kw is bright enough and intensity the same but color temperature is tricking the eye in thinking it more powerful in output.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back