Magic cake frosting

Ryewalk84

So I’ve been lurking these forums recently and gathering some great ideas, so thanks for that. Now onto my cake.... I am looking for ideas on how I can make a cake that is unfrosted and then as the actor spins away from the audience the cake would then be painted/frosted.

My thoughts so far are that I place a piece of foam around the frosted cake and a trigger would pull that into the cake stand or the other way around, a trigger would pull the frosted part up and out of the cake stand.

Would greatly appreciate thoughts and ideas on how to implement this.

To add to Bill’s idea the cake stand could have UV lights built into it and the cake could be painted with neon UV paint. Without the lights it looks like an unfrosted cake.

If you are interested I will give you the email address of a great UV artist I know if you decide to go that route.

Marry Poppins, You're doing Marry Poppins arn't you? I don't have much to add, the above ideas are clever. We opted not do do a "cake" bit, and instead used projections along with some practical set hinges to "restore the kitchen mess" magically, and just did a straight cake bowl/cake trade under the counter.

When we did Poppins a cake was built on wheels, with one side painted plain and the other with frosting. Someone went by quickly and spun it around and the appropriate time.

Do you think using lights in it would make it look too much like a flashlight? I worry that it would lose the cake look when lit up. I’m torn on if it should be cut or to spend time fiddling around with it and have it be a waste.

It’s it’s UV lights and paint I mean it will look different. But that’s the idea. Plus frosting is all about bright vibrant colors.

This is how I do mine....

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I've also done a couple where I had a cover that was pulled off. Those had a hole in the top of the cake and the cover was a piece of nylon that was sucked down into the hole when pulled. It looked great, but was a lot less practical than the video above.

-Chris
Here's more: Mary Poppins Effects

Users who are viewing this thread

Back