Making just a few $$$ ??

I guess it just depends on personal preference, i know when i go into places at least around the South Dakota area, i want empty circuits and nothing else. Also i would be very cautious of pre hung truss as i wouldn't know who set it up and how much weight it could hold. this is coming from some one who has about 2 years in the industry and feels much safer depending on my own work rather than someone i don't knows work. (no offense intended). Also as far as safety cable goes again i stress that while a zip tie is rated for 25 lbs. those are much more massively produced, while safety cable is rated and tested consistently. Not saying that weight is an issue i just feel it looks more professional and makes me feel safer when i see instruments whether it be a gobo rotators or a par can hung with a safety cable just because i know what they are rated for and know that it is an industry standard.

You do realize he is talking about clubs that are no larger than your garage right? No band who plays venues that size carry along LDs, let alone lights. I think the system he is talking about seems really appropriate for the kind of stuff going on in there.

I'm gonna back up John here and say safety cables are not needed, they weigh more than the fixtures he is hanging. I'm still not sure what LDs he might anger out there by installing house rigs, but then again I don't want to question your experience as a two year industry veteran in South Dakota.

Also full sentences and proper grammar are a great way to get people to take what you say more seriously.

You do realize he is talking about clubs that are no larger than your garage right? No band who plays venues that size carry along LDs, let alone lights. I think the system he is talking about seems really appropriate for the kind of stuff going on in there.

I'm gonna back up John here and say safety cables are not needed, they weigh more than the fixtures he is hanging. I'm still not sure what LDs he might anger out there by installing house rigs, but then again I don't want to question your experience as a two year industry veteran in South Dakota.

Also full sentences and proper grammar are a great way to get people to take what you say more seriously.

I do understand he is talking about back water clubs that are about the size of an average garage. While also they may not be needed its still an industry standard. I am not trying to say that he has to replace them I'm just saying that while it may work it may look safer than just a zip tie. I would also like to ask you what safety cables you are hanging since you seem to think they weigh more than 1 lb. As i also stated about making LD's and Light techs angry is when they come into a club expecting basically a stage and a few outlets and maybe one or two consumer grade dimmables and come in to find a truss hanging from a ceiling, they will immediately think that the owner of the bar hung it himself to give the bar the "upper class look". At least in my area any tech who walks into a place and does not see someone who seems to know what they are doing when messing with the equipment they will pretty much bet that it was some volunteer work that hung it or some contractor who normally works in home remodling. This is compounded with the sight of zip ties for safety cables and they would probably say "I am going no where near that thing."

So before you make your sarcastic comments and if i have any experience on this board i know you will. think from someone else's standpoint I was not trying to boast about my experience i was just stating what background i am coming from as it isn't blatantly obvious on anyones profiles. While i also believe in good grammar sometimes we all get sloppy with our sentences. So instead of taking my advice as some kind of insult to yourself or your experience try to think it over as i see it and take from it what you can or want to, instead of reading something and instantly berating the person who posted it.

Again this board is for learning, NOT for bashing.

P.S. while you may think that nothing happens in South Dakota, your right as far as traveling big bands go, we have more of a support for tech experience rather than the best gear possible. This is also the same place who hosts life light, a major concert for christian rock and other type of bands. So while you may get more traveling gigs coming from your area, South Dakota generally gets the more consistent groups coming through.

To the original poster: I think you are asking questions to the wrong group of people. You're getting advice from guys and girls who work (and maybe attend) in high schools, community theaters, and perhaps performing arts centers. Most have never even thought about doing what you are asking, much less had experience with setting their own rates and installing a rig from start to completion. No offense to the posters here, but if you don't have experience with this type of work then please stick to what you're best at.

I couldn't disagree more with the advice to look at working for bands. Bands are paid by the stingy and bottom line bar owners, how do you think they have more money than bars? Go for the professional clients. I think you're on the right track here, so please don't be swayed by those who think they have answers without the experience. Find a price that gets you a decent return while also factoring in maintenance and other associated costs and go for it! It's your business and your neck that's on the line, please make educated decisions for yourself and do not put too much stock into what you read on a forum that has a stickied thread of "technician vs techie."

As i also stated about making LD's and Light techs angry is when they come into a club expecting basically a stage and a few outlets and maybe one or two consumer grade dimmables and come in to find a truss hanging from a ceiling, they will immediately think that the owner of the bar hung it himself to give the bar the "upper class look". At least in my area any tech who walks into a place and does not see someone who seems to know what they are doing when messing with the equipment they will pretty much bet that it was some volunteer work that hung it or some contractor who normally works in home remodling. This is compounded with the sight of zip ties for safety cables and they would probably say "I am going no where near that thing."

This is your mistake, not that of the installer (or Pie or the OP). Ever heard of advancing a show? If Mr. Big Shot LD is coming into a bar then it's his responsibility to advance the show so that he knows what to expect when he gets there. Otherwise you get what you get, and it's all a surprise. Again, to assume that because the operator doesn't know what he's doing is a reflection of the installer is ridiculous and your mistake, not the installer's.

Well, this all might just work out.

Not only is the cost of insurance is surprisingly affordable (less than $500/yr for half a million in coverage), but while refocusing during a break last night (the band hired me)... a gentleman approached me about hanging lights and truss in some of his bars.

As far as who to approach, bands vs bars,... I think the answer is both. Use working with the bands to showcase to the bars, as well as the bars to showcase to the bands.

As far as lease or sell,... I am leaning towards selling. I am beginning to see it like this. If I sell the owners a small system of truss and a few lights, it's just that much less work I have to do when entering the same club with my dimmers, more lights, and a band.

I beleive one other thing I need to do though is find a wholesale supplier. As much as I would prefer to shop locally, our local dealer is just way too high in price. Ya, I got a great deal on the truss (which they didn't even know they had till some repairs to the building were made and they found em stashed in a dark corner), but the pricing on the par cans is almost twice what I can get them from musicians friend. Their lamps are almost triple what I can get them from my electrical supply house. Still, I would rather support "the little guy" (like me), rather than going to the Wal-mart of entertainment equipment. Ebay is an option, but that is spotty at best.

Suggestions??

Also, I realize that many here may not really be able to provide helpful feedback, however there are some here that I beleive are very knowledgeable of not only the craft, but the industry. I'm willing to sift through and find the nuggets of gold in the gravel and mudd. Overall, I would say this site has been a very helpful and enlightening forum.

Last edited:

Not only is the cost of insurance is surprisingly affordable (less than $500/yr for half a million in coverage), but while refocusing during a break last night (the band hired me)... a gentleman approached me about hanging lights and truss in some of his bars.

As far as who to approach, bands vs bars,... I think the answer is both. Use working with the bands to showcase to the bars, as well as the bars to showcase to the bands.

As far as lease or sell,... I am leaning towards selling. I am beginning to see it like this. If I sell the owners a small system of truss and a few lights, it's just that much less work I have to do when entering the same club with my dimmers, more lights, and a band.

I beleive one other thing I need to do though is find a wholesale supplier. As much as I would prefer to shop locally, our local dealer is just way too high in price. Ya, I got a great deal on the truss (which they didn't even know they had till some repairs to the building were made and they found em stashed in a dark corner), but the pricing on the par cans is almost twice what I can get them from musicians friend. Their lamps are almost triple what I can get them from my electrical supply house. Still, I would rather support "the little guy" (like me), rather than going to the Wal-mart of entertainment equipment. Ebay is an option, but that is spotty at best.

Suggestions??

Also, I realize that many here may not really be able to provide helpful feedback, however there are some here that I beleive are very knowledgeable of not only the craft, but the industry. I'm willing to sift through and find the nuggets of gold in the gravel and mudd. Overall, I would say this site has been a very helpful and enlightening forum.

Can you just become a distributor?

Well i'm glad you figured out what to do, I would ask the local retailer if he can offer some kind of wholesale price to you since you will be buying inventory at a fairly high volume. Another option is talk with the companies who supply the equipment such as ETC, or what have you and find out what it will take to buy directly from them.

Suggestions??

I've found that if you don't have the 20k to 100k lying around to buy in as a dealer of a particular manufacturer its best to contact the manufacurer and talk to them as if you are an established business that just doesn't have that kind of liquid asset sitting around at the moment. They will usually hook you up with a dealer local to you that is willing to sell to you at dealer price plus 10%. I would talk to Elation. Their stuff seems to hold up pretty well for being *cough* DJ gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back