Outboard Gear Marking physical volume levels

techietim

Hi all,

At our church facility occasionally we use a keyboard or guitar amplifier elsewhere in the venue where our main installs aren't.
My question to you is - what is the best way to show a "standard" and/or "maximum" volume on the amplifier.

Is there any cheap "limiting" device that can be added to the volume knob to prevent too much volume?

Thanks,
TechieTim :)

... Is there any cheap "limiting" device that can be added to the volume knob to prevent too much volume?
Any limiter device would have to be outboard and inline with the output, unless one devised a clever Rube Goldberg mechanical device to prevent the knob from being turned too far.

... At our church facility occasionally we use a keyboard or guitar amplifier elsewhere in the venue where our main installs aren't.
My question to you is - what is the best way to show a "standard" and/or "maximum" volume on the amplifier.
We had a thread on a similar topic of how to denote (analog) audio console settings, but I can't find it. (Stupid search system. :evil:) If semi-permanent, a black Sharpie (on a light facepanel) or white china marker (on a dark one) denote the knob's intended setting. If more temporary, colored paper dot stickers, or tape with an arrow. For an amplifier, maybe set it and pull off the knob(s). Then lose them, and be responsible for vandalized equipment. Bad idea, nevermind.

Any limiter device would have to be outboard and inline with the output, unless one devised a clever Rube Goldberg mechanical device to prevent the knob from being turned too far.

We had a thread on a similar topic of how to denote (analog) audio console settings, but I can't find it. (Stupid search system. :evil:) If semi-permanent, a black Sharpie (on a light facepanel) or white china marker (on a dark one) denote the knob's intended setting. If more temporary, colored paper dot stickers, or tape with an arrow. For an amplifier, maybe set it and pull off the knob(s). Then lose them, and be responsible for vandalized equipment. Bad idea, nevermind.

Thanks - I like the idea about teh chinagraph pencil - I'd forgotten about those, so useful! The Sharpie pen is also another good idea.

Probably will avoid the vandalism idea, as you say ;-)

Some of the colored dots can actually last pretty well, especially if the control is not operated that often. I have used them for marking control settings on installed systems and come back years later to find them still in place. At the same time, they can usually be removed pretty easily if you want to do so, although you are often left with a little bit of the adhesive to have to clean.

Some of the colored dots can actually last pretty well, especially if the control is not operated that often. I have used them for marking control settings on installed systems and come back years later to find them still in place. At the same time, they can usually be removed pretty easily if you want to do so, although you are often left with a little bit of the adhesive to have to clean.

Thanks for your help also! :) apologies that I've only just got around to reading and replying.

From the twitterverse. A drastic, but effective, solution.

proxy.php

Users who are viewing this thread

Back