Automated Fixtures Martin Mac 550 issues

Bigelx

I have one 550 that is giving me some issues. A few weeks ago we burned out the lamp base. That has been repaired with a new base, and a new lamp has been installed. It worked great for maybe 2 weeks. Now once a day when the rig is struck it shows the LEER code and will not strike, however if I give it a hard reset it will strike up and stay on for the entire show. Does anyone have any idea on what is going on here? Any help is appreciated.

I repair Macs, It sounds like the ballast or starter is begging to go, I would guess the starter. On a mac 550 I have no idea where they are located. On a mac 500 the starter is buried in the center of the head, right under color and gobo wheel. if it is starting to go you will notice some dark black color on the starter, if it does not look clean besides dust then its going or gone.

I have had a few where the starters are almost cooked and you can keep striking, then the next time you strike it wont, then the time after you will, it depends until they are totally fried. One thing i have found once on a older mac, Where the lamp wires coming up from the ballast on the side arm are connected to the wires going into the head is that they have rotted or are starting to come out of the connector.

Last edited:
Since the starter on a mac 500 is buried in the center, any advice on how to access it? I have one that I know has burned out that I'm trying to replace.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back