MFA

LeRoy17

I am begging the search for an MFA educational theater program that will enable me to either work with youth in a theater setting or be a part of at risk theater development for youth in a school setting. I know those two are different goals; however, I'm just beginning the search. Thanks!

The University of Central Florida grants a degree of some kind specifically in TYA, I don't know if they rise to the MFA level or not. The alum I know,
( who's terrific ) I believe just has a BA or BFA.

In my view, you don't need an MFA to teach at that level. Any BA or BFA will do. Do you currently have a theatre degree? Do you have any professional experience? In what capacity do you wan to work with a youth theatre? Do you want to work WITH the youth or do you want to work for a theatre that performs FOR the youth?

I am beginning the search for an MFA educational theater program that will enable me to either work with youth in a theater setting or be a part of at risk theater development for youth in a school setting. I know those two are different goals; however, I'm just beginning the search. Thanks!

First step, spell check and reread everything you write as practice for any sort of paperwork you have to fill out to get in. Unless you really are begging for a program to let you in *wink*

Second most of the educational theatre programs I'm familiar with are MA programs. That doesn't mean there aren't MFA programs but don't count out MA programs as they are valid options as well.

Arizona State University has a MFA in Theater for Youth. Nearby at the Tempe PAC, one of the resident theater companies is Childsplay (adults doing theater for children) and in Phoenix is Valley Youth Theater, which one of it's talented actresses excelled in American Idol (don't watch the show, so I don't remember if she won).

Edit: her name was Jordin Sparks. I guess she won.

Last edited:
You should look at state requirements for the type of program you want to work in. I know here in Washington you would be limited in what you could do without teaching certification first. You may find you need to pursue a masters in education and teaching certification with the theater as your B.A. major instead. As a teacher in a very poor urban high school, I had a couple of people bring theater programs into my school to work with my at risk students. They were required to work under my supervision at all times.

check your private messages for a suggestion

Users who are viewing this thread

Back