Mic stand bases

Hello all! I have a rather odd question..

I was hired as TD at a theater a few months ago, and I have spent what little free time I have had attempting to inventory exactly what the organization and facility has - something that has never been done here before :)

In my exploration, I found a pile of a dozen or so standard weighted microphone stand bases. The theater has a supply of tripod stands and seems to have disposed of all other mic stand parts except the bases.

The organizer in me says to just throw them away, but the engineer and packrat in me says that there must be a good use for such well built items :). We have a good suppy of stage weights, so I don't need them for that, but I was wondering if anyone has found a good or creative use for them.

Worst case scenario, the dumpster is always waiting.

Frisbee. oops i should not say that, someone will take it seriously and try it out in the lobby. they just dont fly right with that hole in the center.

I'd suggest stacking them in a "junk" corner somewhere -- a year or two from now you'll have a need for them and will be kicking yourself if you tossed them out.

And if you don't use them within a couple of years, THEN you can toss them out ;)

Last edited:
the round weighted bases typically ATLAS are the preferred stand by a lot of professionals. They are considered to be far better than the cheap tripods.

Sharyn

Light bases sounds like a good idea! I have had to build some wooden ones for some low specials!

I am much more of a fan of the weighted type over the tripod - unless you're touring, a rental company, or moving them around and want to avoid having a 500lb case of bases.

The floor mounts i really like are the crows feet off of a manhasset music stand. I acquired a bunch of these from an outdoor venue that is no longer around. I put screw holes at the toe of each foot then i can secure to the floor or even the wall if I care to.

the round weighted bases typically ATLAS are the preferred stand by a lot of professionals. They are considered to be far better than the cheap tripods.

Sharyn

They are preferred by this professional only when they stay in the same venue where they are used. Lugging and transporting those beasts is a pain. Give me a nice K & M with a boom any day.

Plus, once the all too soft threads are damaged, they are scrap metal. The main reason Atlas is still in business is that their stuff is cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back