Digital Surfaces Midas Pro2 Losing Phantom Power mid-show.

aldenf

Hi gang,

Long time lurker here. First time poster.

Have a brand new Pro2 that I mixed 40 performances of a musical. It worked flawlessly. Opening Barefoot In The Park tonight.

This afternoon's performance, all was fine at sound check. By curtain time, I had lost the condensers on stage. The PSM's dynamic was fine. While most of the show is playback, the actors had no program for monitors or a hanging condenser for fill. After the show, I rebooted the console, and all was well. Had to be a phantom power issue.

Anyone else experience this on a Pro series console?

Thanks,
Alden

Are you running redundant power supplies? Have you called Midas? Those would be my first two things. These consoles are so new that it could be a simple firmware issue.

Thanks, Kyle.

Yes to redundant power supply on UPS.
Sent Midas an email after the show as the curtain came down at 6:30pm.

There is a new firmware available. But I've been advised by several people, including the install company, to avoid it for now, as people are experiencing bugs.

I hope Midas has something good to say.

I'm sorry, things like this are difficult. I would be extremely surprisedif your phantom power issue is software related if it's happened more than once. You could test this by just leaving a few condenser mics powered on for a few hours with no other activity on th console.

Midas is making a huge pr push since their new ownership (and drop in quality/fault tollerance) so a phone all should get you a ways with them, seeing as you work in NYC.

I too have heard about the firmware issues

Spoke with Midas. Rep wasn't all too familiar with the Pro2 "since it's so new". Was going to check the differences between it and the rest of the Pro series, look into the matter and let me know if he found anything. I haven't heard back from him... Good news: It has only happened that once.

Wow that's...

Also it's extremely different from the other pros in terms of how it works

I understand the Pro2 is at least slightly different than the other Pro Series consoles. The 3,6 & 9 have a dedicated phantom power supply. The rep wasn't sure if the 2 does as well...

Of course, it just happened again. Fine at sound check. At curtain no condensers. 20 Minutes into the show, i have condensers again...

This does not make me happy.

~Alden

I understand the Pro2 is at least slightly different than the other Pro Series consoles. The 3,6 & 9 have a dedicated phantom power supply. The rep wasn't sure if the 2 does as well...

Of course, it just happened again. Fine at sound check. At curtain no condensers. 20 Minutes into the show, i have condensers again...

This does not make me happy.

~Alden

Same problem with pro2c. Had church today minus choir mics, grand piano, and five lead vocal mics. Rebooted after church with same problem. Rebooted again and worked. This has happened since it arrived a few weeks ago. I thought it was something I was doing.
This is exactly why I did NOT go with Digico. Very disappointing.

Just an update. I've spoken with Midas a few times since I started this thread. They've been very helpful.

I determined that the only thing being done differently with this show as opposed to the last, uneventful show, is I was turning the desk on before the stage box. During the musical, my A2 was getting the stage box powered up before the console. So, I've started powering up the stage box before the desk now too. I've run six performances without a hitch. Midas tells me the problems usually occur the other way around. I say, if you're powering one up before the other and having problems, try switching the order... It's apparently a networking issue. Midas also told me that I can unplug the EtherCons at the console during the show and force the networking protocol to re-initialize. Haven't had to try that yet...

If you experience any other issues please call Frank Heinrich @ Midas service 425-949-9203. This guy answers his phone ALL the time.

Updated Download is available at the midas FTP site 2.05R, the only recomendation is to update on a non show day.

Kind regards,

CHIRNSIDE Kyle
Manager, Customer Technical
MUSIC Group Services NV Inc.
Tel: +1 702 800 8290 ext 5714
Mobile: +1 702 371 2328
Email: [email protected]
Web: Midas Consoles | Klark Teknik | Turbosound - Professional Loudspeaker Systems

Users who are viewing this thread

Back