Mixer purchase advice

Sayen

Hi all,

I'm looking on some advice on purchasing an audio mixer. I've been researching and shopping around, but there are sooooo many options for audio, unlike the more concise world of lighting. I need a new mixer, assume my budget is unlimited, but I have some specific needs:

- At least 32 channels, and a minimum of four aux or sub outputs (or both combined...)
- Small profile - this is the catch. The booth space really limits the mixer size. We had a full size (36? channel) Onyx, and it was hanging off the desk and didn't leave room for an operator, let alone PC or notes.
- Venue handles multiple types of events, so I need something flexible. At least 4 AUX inputs on top of everything else.

Honestly, the size thing is my biggest issue, trying to find a console with enough channels that doesn't take up the entire desk and seating area.

I'm open to digital or analog boards. I've been looking at the Yamaha MG32/14FX, but I thought someone else might have another suggestion.

I'm also looking for a smaller 8 - 16 channel digital board for another venue, largely for training purposes.

Thanks,

If you want digital, Yamaha LS-9 is quite popular. You could get an LS-9 32 which has 32 built in inputs, and can expand up to 64ch with digital stage boxes. Or, the smaller sized LS-9 16 which has 16 built in inputs, and can expand up to 32ch with a digital stage box. The extra channels will be on a second layer of faders though.

LS9
Stagebox

I use a Yamaha MG32/14FX for all of our events and have been very happy with it. Bought it in 2004 and have used it steadily ever since without any problems. That is the only console in that category that I've spent any time with, however, so I really can't say how it compares with other consoles with similar features and number of channels.

The GL series of boards from Allen and Heath are some of the most compact "full featured" analog boards you can buy. The Prodesk series from APB is also very compact.

As far as digital goes, how much do you want to spend?

Yamaha LS9-16 + expander as already mentioned
Rolland M-480
Allen and Heath R72 or T80 + iDR32
Soundcraft VI1
Digico SD9 or SD11

This is one of those rare times when the budget is almost unlimited - part of a technology upgrade for the classrooms. I have about 50k to work with, not that I want to dump all of that into consoles.

If that's the case take a serious look at the Soundcraft VI1.
Soundcraft - Vi1
proxy.php

The GL series of boards from Allen and Heath are some of the most compact "full featured" analog boards you can buy. The Prodesk series from APB is also very compact.

On the analog side that is about as low as you can get and still be acceptable. We have one in our smaller venue and rarely get a peep out of a road engineer. There are some weird routing things with them, but they are a good sounding console.

However, for a compact console with less then 8 mixes (the reason we have the GL), Midas Venice 32 would be the way to go no questions asked. Its also a fairly small console.

Last edited:
This is one of those rare times when the budget is almost unlimited - part of a technology upgrade for the classrooms. I have about 50k to work with, not that I want to dump all of that into consoles.
What is the application, who are the users and what all does that $50k have to cover? I ask because I recently wrapped up the design for a classroom technology update where the smallest room was around $75k and the one room with a digital audio mixer estimated to be about $325k (and that's just for the AV and does not include the Distance Learning systems or the related power, conduit, boxes, etc.), so if it is a comprehensive upgrade that $50k can go fast and may drive what is feasible for the mixer. That project also limited operation of the digital audio mixer to events that would use the facility's dedicated tech staff, which factored into the product selection.

I'm also looking for a smaller 8 - 16 channel digital board for another venue, largely for training purposes.
PreSonus StudioLive 16.0.2 or 16.4.2, Soundcraft Si Compact 16 and Yamaha 01V96 might be some options. I'm not sure what the goals are with the training but one consideration may be that these compact consoles may lack some of the features and/or function a bit differently than most larger format consoles.

If you don't need to use scenes and can make 24 channels work, the SL24.4.2 at $2800 shipped is a no-brainer IMHO.

If you need 32 and want analog, either an Allen & Heath or an APB Dynasonic, depending on budget (don't forget to add all the outboard. If digital, your choices are a pair of SL16.4.2, a pair of SL24.4.2 (much better facilities), or an LS9-32. (It looks to me as though the little Soundcraft has too many dis-satisfiers for the money. The Roland 480 might also be a viable choice.)

The 50k is for auditorium upgrades, non-lighting. I already have a very strong line array sound system, good equipment in the racks, a healthy stock of mics. Functionally I need a 32 channel small profile board to make everything perfect. The digital is just a choice for classroom use/training, although we would put it to good use in some of our events.

The digital is just a choice for classroom use/training, although we would put it to good use in some of our events.
I was asking because if the intent is to teach how to use a digital mixer, some of the entry level digital mixers may let you address some of the basic concepts but may not let you address some aspects that are relevant to most bigger consoles.

On the other console, you say that size is critical so is there any specific dimensions that define the maximum size acceptable? Is the depth or height a factor or just the width? For reference, according to the product information a Mackie Onyx 32-4 is 39.8" wide, 21.9" deep and 7.4" high. I think the Vi1 is wider than that, however the Yamaha LS9-16 or LS9-32, the Allen & Heath T80, the Avid SC48 (barely smaller), the DigiCo SD9, the Soundcraft Si Compact 24 or Si Compact 32 and the Roland M-300 or M-480 all seem to be at least narrower than that 39.8" width. If they are enough smaller would depend on the specific dimensions required.

Have you looked into a venue sc48 at all? If money is no object I'd check that out. 48 in/16 out, pro tools plugins, and a relatively small footprint. My high school has a M7CL 48 and I love the interface which is pretty easy to teach to newbies. Keep in mind though that even if you want to teach a digital console you still need to make sure you're teaching how to mix audio and signal flow in an analog console, because if you can run a digital console but don't understand the physical routing that it simulates your students will be in for a reel shock when they get to the real world and have to work with analog systems or systems that aren't installations.

Thank you all for the feedback, I've been up to my nose in research from this thread, and I appreciate being pointed in the right direction to narrow down the search. I wound up ordering an Allen and Heath GL...exact model escapes me, and a Presonus 16.4.2 for the lab.

Thank you all for the feedback, I've been up to my nose in research from this thread, and I appreciate being pointed in the right direction to narrow down the search. I wound up ordering an Allen and Heath GL...exact model escapes me, and a Presonus 16.4.2 for the lab.

From what I've heard, you will be very happy with both of those choices.

LS9 seems to fit your area, I've spent a little bit of time on one and it's nice. It has an Ipad app as well which functions as a Remote Mixing (?) Unit (Lighting guy here, what's the term for this?) using wireless. M7CL is also a fantastic board, but it acts a lot like the older brother of the LS9 so it may be a little bit strong for you. One of the two boards I spend the most time behind is a Allen and Heath GL2400, which happens to have 32 channels and four auxes as you desired. However, as an analog board it may be a little bit large (in physical size) for your needs, so a digital could be the way to go.

LS9 seems to fit your area, I've spent a little bit of time on one and it's nice. It has an Ipad app as well which functions as a Remote Mixing (?) Unit

Yes it does. The app is nice. It can act as a touchscreen for the LS-9. And its free, as long as you have a $499+ iPad.

(I don't know a specific name, Yamaha calls it a remote control for the console)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back