Automated Fixtures Mover - Followspot

Is there a sensor anyone knows of that you can use on your moving lights to make them follow a belt pack on a person? I thought i saw one but i didnt get the name of it. Anyone know the name? or what that technology is called?

Thanks

If you run over the lightnetwork, they have a few guys on there that use the system regularly. If you are interested, they have some tricks to get it to work to its fullest.

I have also been considering using an AutoPilot for an upcoming show (Peter Pan). What fixtures would you folks recommend using AutoPilot with, and do you think it could track flying performers well enough?

Thanks!

If setup properly, pretty much ANY moving light will work. Generally, I like mirror fixtures for Autopilot as long as you setup your zones properly and then you don't run the risk of being "out of range" of the mirror.

For the most part, I've generally used VL2000 spots when I didn't have mirror fixtures for the kit and they work very well.

The biggest issue with the Autopilot system is verifying that you have COMPLETE IR coverage wherever you need it. One small trick that works REALLY well. If the theater can be dark, turn off ALL lights and get a Night Vision Camcorder and look at the stage. You'll see real quick if you have any dead spots on stage.

J

So Auto Pilot is IR? I guess I assumed it was RF. That means it needs line of sight right?

I read a bit of the literature from the wybron site, and it showed a layout of the sensors all around the stage. How can one belt pack be in line of sight of all those sensors? does that cause a lot of problems? Does the pack need to be on the poor performers head?

It needs to see 3 sensors to triangulate the position and translate that into Pan/Tilt parameters. It doesn't have to see all of them at one time. That's why the layout of the sensors is so important.

As far as placement of the transceivers, there is an offset channel that allows you to make adjustments up or down to center the light. Generally, I've done shoulders or on top of wigs/hats.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back