Moving lights as front light

Hey guys I'm interested to know what moving lights you would use as a front light. No fancy movements, will be pointed at the stage and dimmed on and off.

Budget: 1-2k per fixture
Distance to stage: 40-50 feet

Why are you looking for moving lights? At that budget, anything you buy is probably going to be a regret.

Yeah, I can't think of a single fixture that would fit in that budget and still serve as an adequate frontlight that won't make you life hell. Perhaps if you described why the fixtures needed to be moving lights, we'd be able to help you more? For example, if this is just an inaccessible FOH position and you need repositionable lights, you might be able to go with something like an Apollo RightArm, with or without color changing or irising depending on your needs.

With your budget a different idea might be better. Assuming that what you need if color change and refocus abilities along with an iris I would consider using a Colorsource Spot with an I-Cue and a DMX Iris. Without knowing what you are lighting; plays, concerts, dance, it is hard to be helpful in anything beyond generic ideas.

For a soft edge fixture I second @Pie4Weebl 's suggestion of the new Elation Fuze Wash Z350. Gets really narrow, has hella punch.

One thing to consider is what you are trying to light, and what you want it to look like. If it's just a band, movers can be cool because they clearly have extra capabilities.
However, if there is going to be any type of theatrical thing done on stage, then you need to remember that just plain front light is just too flat, and won't do any of the usual things like modeling, etc. I only say this because I've been walking into a lot of schools lately where I see that they go with LED front lights (usually a spot style fixture or something) pointed flat at the stage. Not even getting into the issues with older LEDs and color issues and spectrum, it just never looks good (one school I was just at literally had enough source 4s hung in the cove to do 2 colors, but the lamps were all burned out - which I fixed quickly and suddenly their stage looked way better).

Basically, what you are trying to light makes a difference. I'm assuming more rock and roll style things from your description, but you know what they say about assumptions....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back