MSR Lamps

I recently found, while doing a long needed inventory, a few MSR lamps. They have a G22 base, like a HPL lamp. The information sheet that came with it said that the lamp couldn't be used if there was light showing through vents in the instrument. If that is so, what could you use these for? Are they safe?

This could be just about anything,
Can you post a photo of the lamp?
Any indication as to wattage?
As for if they were safe, I would say they would be safe for any fixture that was designed for them.

You cannot just put them into a source 4, as they require a ballast and ignitor to strike the lamp.
Also, a source 4 would likely let too much UV out to be safely used without risk of eye or skin damage.

I recently found, while doing a long needed inventory, a few MSR lamps. They have a G22 base, like a HPL lamp. The information sheet that came with it said that the lamp couldn't be used if there was light showing through vents in the instrument. If that is so, what could you use these for? Are they safe?

Cannot believe in doing lamps for like 14x years now... the same clubs have been requesting say 20x HPL lamps every few months. No more info... just HPL lamps or at times if they feel special, they might mention wattage and nothing else.

A HPL lamp uses a G-9.5H.S lamp. (The H.S. part I add to it in listing given the heat sink added to a normal G-9.5 lamp.)

So if you have a lamp with a G-22 base - pins on the lamp where it plugs in 22mm on center... you don't have a HPL lamp or anything like it.

Info sheet with the lamp in stuff about vent holes in light showing thru?

Says MSR on it. That's a starting point at least in being an arc lamp and also nothing like a HPL lamp given a filament verses electrodes and arc gap.

Assuming, the smallest G-22 lamp Philips in their MSR line made - kind of like General Motors with the Chevy line of car... we get somewhere but not far in knowing which car/truck using in this case a deseal engine say.

Possible in the smallest globe and wattage MSR lamp I see that you have a MSR 575HR lamp that you found? This assuming the lamp base is probably the spare lamp to your follow spot.

Otherwise, let us know more details such as what followed the "MSR" to what the lamp is.

Lamp with G22 base (also called medium bi-post, older incandescents, HID lamps):

proxy.php

MSR575/HR [311605] - $154.88 : Light Bulbs at Bulbman.

Lamp with G9.5 base (also called medium bi-pin, HPL-, FEL-, GLA-families):

proxy.php

HPL575/115 [54622] - $16.61 : Light Bulbs at Bulbman.

An MSR lamp with GX9.5 base:

proxy.php

MSR400 [245076] - $177.71 : Light Bulbs at Bulbman.
Quite possibly what the OP has.

... If that is so, what could you use these for? Are they safe?
If same lamp as above, the Intellabeam 400, for one.
Perfectly safe, when used according to directions.

We use MSR 1200/2's in our followspots (Robert Juliat Topaze units,) like ship said, it's probably a spare lamp for your followspot if you have one. I know the Robert Juliat Buxie and the Lycian Midget HP both use the MSR 575 lamps.

We use MSR 1200/2's in our followspots (Robert Juliat Topaze units,) like ship said, it's probably a spare lamp for your followspot if you have one. I know the Robert Juliat Buxie and the Lycian Midget HP both use the MSR 575 lamps.

Doot' we all strike out in guessing, or do we. What given you know there is info following the "MSR" is more info to tell about, are your lamps in that further info? Not for your follow spot... yet as said G-22 and MSR - yet similar in shape I think you mean to a HPL lamp.

By the way, your other follow spot options in concept for what it might be for don't use a MSR 575 lamps such as might have been used on a vintage Mac 500 fixture, they would be using MSR 575HR lamps.

Totally different animals in needing to not simplify the lamp code as a point above mentioned. In MSR 575 lamp - you just said a say Chevy 2x4 instead of 4x4 in specification as it were. Nothing much similar as per purpose of this point that is needed to learn.

Home work, print out and study the differences between all of the lamps above presented. Than further study them differences. Lamps are not quick and easy. MSR don't mean an ANSI code lamp nor-does HPL. Study further, it will only help.

By the way, what was posted by Derek was lot number and serial number of the lamp which is often now not done in serial number. Good stuff for you if bad lot in getting your money back - if you save the paperwork that comes with every lamp and cross your I's and T's. Do fill out the paperwork when in question about a lamp - might take months but good stuff if refund.

Still thouh the other side of the lamp is what we all wanted to know in info.

Last edited:
Huh? Sorry ship but sometimes it's really hard to understand your posts.

I wasn't trying to be exacting, our Topaze units use ether MSD 1200's or MSR 1200/2's thats the code we always order them by, and they can use both interchangeably. We don't own Buxie's or Midget HP's but I know they use MSD/MSR 575HR type lamps, in fact I just looked it up to be sure. The OP has not replied with exactly what type of lamp he found...so I was giving out options on what types of fixtures use MSR lamps. His info says he is a student so most likely he is at a school...so it's far more likely that the lamps are for followspots then say a Mac 500 which a school is unlikely to have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back