Control/Dimming Multiconsole System

Just curious, but why won't the venue let you use the Ion/Eos on their network? They could even set it up so that their Express had a higher priority and could override anything you would do, their programming would remain in tact and it would be the least invasive.

You could theoretically use the remote trigger on the Express wired to a DMX relay that was signaled by the Ion, but that seems like an odd workaround. Midi would be cleaner, though. Are you sure the venue won't require their guy to run their board? You might just need to use 2 operators, depending on the politics.

If you could give us a little bit more information about your show and the venue we might be a little more helpful. I can think of a few options like DMX Merging or variations on what has been mentioned.
-Mike

At this point in time - using midi is probably the way to go. The express can output a midi message (MSC) for each cue it executes. Whatever you are using to run your conventionals needs to listen to the midi message and fire off the correct cue.

What I do in my theatre is to run an express for my conventionals, and run mLight ( a computer based program for controlling moving lights). I connect the two via MIDI so when you run a cue on the express, the proper cue executes in mLight.

Hi,

The facility will not let us patch our own console in, and there is no way in hell im doing movers on the express... so would MIDI or DMX or ETC net work?

Thanks...

MIDI is the way to do it, but if your thinking of an Ion, there's really no need for the Express. I would be curious to hear the reasoning behind the facility not allowing you to have a different console operationg there conventional system. We do this ALL the time and never have issues. Save's you needing 2 console operators for programming.

If you are renting an Ion, try to get at least 1 LCD touch screen and have the Direct Selects page on it. Then pre-build focus, color and beam palettes as well as Presets and life will be SO much simpler.

Steve Bailey
Brooklyn College

MIDI is the way to do it, but if your thinking of an Ion, there's really no need for the Express. I would be curious to hear the reasoning behind the facility not allowing you to have a different console operationg there conventional system. We do this ALL the time and never have issues. Save's you needing 2 console operators for programming.

It very well could be a houselight issue. I have in a few spaces that won't let you disconnect the console for more then a day because houselight control is on their console and thats the only place it is. They don't want the cleaning crew to come in and not be able to turn on the lights because of a new console. Its a bad situation, but it does happen. MrsFooters space is like that. She will let a road show use their console own console into her system as long as at the end of the night her console is operational.

Yet another reason supporting ETCnet priority. Simply set the DMX gateway running the house console to a higher priority than the road board. They can run all of the systems from the road board, but at the end of the night, the house crew can override anything it needs just like normal.

Yet another reason supporting ETCnet priority. Simply set the DMX gateway running the house console to a higher priority than the road board. They can run all of the systems from the road board, but at the end of the night, the house crew can override anything it needs just like normal.
The express is an ETCNet1 console if I remember correctly. As far as I remember, that function only works on ETCNet2 and 3.

100% correct. I forgot about ETCnet 1 and assumed when the OP said net he meant Net2 or 3.

The venue's reason for no road consoles is the house lights and the lobby lights are all controlled on the Express. There are no wall control plates for the lobby or house lights. There are work lights in the auditorium but nothing in the lobby. Seems kinda weird, that they would have to have the console running 24/7, but the TD says that it runs on a timed event system on at 9 off at 5 unless you put the fader up... seems mickey mouse but its not my venue...

sound like Derek's suggestion of a DMX Merger would be the best solution to me, that would let them use their own board as well as have yours plugged into the system at the same time. See if your local rental house has a Merger for rent, otherwise I know Doug Fleenor sells them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back