My Personal Horror Story

Pugs

this is a true Story about what happens when you fall 13m/ 39'

FALLEN OPERATOR RECOVERING​
“I was hooked up to the safety gear, which failed”​

Andrew "Pugs" O is convalescing afteralmost losing his life falling from a follow spot ladder while working on Boyfrom Oz. He was climbing the 13 meter wire ladder and almost at the chair when he fell. He broke all the ribs on one side, punctured a lung, ruptured hisspleen and his diaphragm.

“I was conscious as I fell, and blacked out before I hit the ground. Then I woke a few seconds later. I almost died”, he told CX. The ambulanceguys cut the harness off him, and he was rushed to surgery. After fifteen days in hospital, he was sent home and remains in recovery and heavily reliant on pain killers which he says affect his emotions. He expects to be off work for six months.

The day of the accident Andrew was employed by Event Personnel Australia in Adelaide. He says that he was asked at the last minute to do follow spot up on the lighting truss on stage left, as the scheduled operator had not arrived. “I normally carry my own harness, I am a safety nazi.
I didn’t have my harness that day since I didn’t expect to go up there. They were hurrying us along, and the band were tuningup. Someone hooked the inertial reel onto the back of my harness, because you can’treach the dorsal point when you are in the harness”. Andrew questions whether aclimb of more than 10 meters should be allowed. “There was a hoist and platformto get the star up to the piano, we, as an industry, could design something like that where the climb is more than 10 meters. I can climb ten meters, but the extra three meters really takes it out of you.” “A wire ladder is a stupid,old fashioned way to get up to heights”, he added.

Being injured and off work, sitting around at home all day and being cared for by his girlfriend, Andrew feels isolated. He says only one industry mate has actually called him, although plenty of people have sent texts. “It’s one thing being injured and off work, but in rehab terms people don’t realize the face to face side of it. People avoid talking to you(when injured) because they don’t know what to say or they think you don’t want to talk about it.” Work Safe SA are investigating the accident. Andrew just wants to get back to work. CX want to ensure that he remains respected as someone with a first rate safety culture.

Ongoing issues:
Incisional Hernias
Lower back pian
Wieght gain
PTSD
Reactive depression

Me in Hospital

proxy.php

Me at Home
proxy.php

Last edited:
How did the harness fail, was it used properly (rated for his weight?) There is more needing to be added to this story. Very incomplete and not much discussion value, not to mention needs quite a bit of editing to be readable.

P.S. though it was spam looking at the way it was formated.

Andrew; so sorry to hear about your accident. You are lucky to be alive! I read in the above post that you expected to be out of work for six months, but in your other post you said you've been out for six years. Was there a typo, or has recovery been a rougher road than expected?

Duck - I believe you could ease up just a bit.

Last edited:
fyi thisiwas over six years ago and I am still in the process of sorting out legal options to recover lost earnings and such.. the harness didn't fail but soemthign wasn't done right, and at the time we susspected the inertial reel had failed but we had it tested and ruled that out..

Didn't mean to come off as harsh, I'm glad your doing better and that you survived. So it wasn't the fall arrest not doing its job correctly, I guess I wish we had more details about what happened.

Again sorry if I came off harsh.

Hey Pugs, First off, welcome to CB! Looks like you are one of the first new members of 2013. Sorry to hear you went through such a horrible accident, but glad that you survived and I look forward to you being part of our community here. We are sticklers about safety around here. When there are accidents we like to study them, discuss them, learn from mistakes that have been made, and most of all teach the young folks how to keep themselves safe.

So it's been six years. Are you back at work or do the ongoing issues prevent you from working? Was there any sort of formal investigation into what went wrong? Was there any finding of fault? It sounds like you fell, barely lived, and six years later nothing has happened. Were you incorrectly hooked in? We would love more details.

Six months turned in 18 months and i wasn't getting any better quickly plus the lack of support form my work place I decided to change trade after i was told about limitations with my back and other ongoing issues, I am now a data cabler/ teleco tech, i will have more details re the fall and why it happend with in the next few months as we are finaly getting to the point of a 3rd party law suit and untill i have those facts i can't really say much more.

At the end fo the day it is cautionry tale and to make sure that it doesn't happen to anyone else.

It says in the headline that you were hooked to safety gear but it failed. Then you say the reel did not fail. If that is true, what happened, belt fail, not correctly hooked to the FP or what? Something obviously had to go wrong. I will say there is nothing wrong with a wire rope ladder. I have never seen a truss trim at 118ft for performance. Most theatre shows trim between 23 and 30ft. I don't know this show but it seems to be basically a theatre style show as apposed to concert style.

... I have never seen a truss trim at 118ft for performance. ...
Not sure where you got 118 ft.; the ladder in question was 13m (~42.5').

... Andrew questions whether aclimb of more than 10 meters should be allowed. ... I can climb ten meters, but the extra three meters really takes it out of you.” “A wire ladder is a stupid,old fashioned way to get up to heights”, he added. ...
Not that it helps your case, or is even geographically applicable, but ANSI E1.1 -2012 Construction and Use of Wire Rope Ladders limits total climb distance to less than 50'. Wire Rope Ladders - I.A.T.S.E. LOCAL 412.pdf.

Tough story to read bro - I do hope that things swing your direction and you do get due compensation out of this. You obviously can appreciate being given a new lease on life, and I appreciate your sharing this with our forum, for sure. There's a lot out there that you can pick up without having to rely on climbing and heavy lifting, and having such an amazing story to tell will definitely make you important to our industry for many years to come. Happy New Year, and best of luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back