Need a Strand Palette system expert to help in Middle Tennessee

Hello all,
I volunteer at a local middle school. Actually, I'm the only person who is involved in this program. I do the directing, building, designing, painting, make all the costumes, lighting and sound.

Here's my problem. The school is only 6 years old and the lighting system that was installed is amazing....but no one knows how to use it. The contractors don't know who installed it, the electricians don't even know where it came from. Four people, including myself & my husband, even know how to turn the thing on. My husband and I have learned as much as we can by trial and error using the manual. We need physical help, someone to come and teach us (and other people!) how to use this great system. We have a budget, slim as you would guess, but this is something we truly need. It's a Strand Lighting Palette system.

If you have the expertise and are near middle TN, east of Nashville, (or can point me in the right direction) please contact me.
Thanks in advance
Robyn

Here is a list of Strand Dealers in TN. They would be a great place to start asking for help. You can probably even go through them to figure out who sold it and installed it.

I personally have had great experiences working with Mainstage Theatrical Supply up here in Wisconsin, so I would start there.
Mainstage Theatrical Supply
2665 Broad Avenue
Memphis, Tennessee 38112
USA
Tel: 901-452-1877
Tel: 800-757-6884
Fax: 901-452-1878
Web: www.mainstage.com
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

This is a YouTube series I used to learn when they installed a Preset Palette in the middle school where I teach. Probably a little dated, while the others above are more current. It does help to have a trainer come in, but just becoming familiar with terminology and the capabilities of your equipment before a training can make your time more productive, as often people don't know what questions they have until after the trainer leaves. So I would suggest picking a few topics that interest you to watch.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

thank you to the responders.
I've actually watched some of the Strand videos, they have been somewhat helpful in the past. I think the Lighting Trainer looks very promising. It seems like it would be time well-spent.
The problem with videos is that I can only grasp a portion of the info, as I know nearly zip about the industry ...and conveying that info to someone else? well, that would be the blind leading the blind.

The best answer is certainly the rep here in Nashville, now I'm wondering if THEY actually installed this thing?
It will be pretty embarrassing to tell them that I never thought there might be a local rep from the company itself :wall:
Again, this isn't my job, but I want to use the system, so it's up to me to figure it out.

thanks so much again!
Robyn

People in educational settings inherit systems all the time. You are not alone in this endeavor that is for sure!
If you get a chance, I'm a fan of this book for folks that are getting into tech that don't have much background in it.
Start with the basics and work your way up!

this is a comforting thought. It is frustrating that when I took over three years ago, the school itself was only 3 years old and no one knew a thing about the system?? what the heck?
It's certainly the best system in our entire district, groups rent our auditorium for $1k a day.... and it's not important to anyone besides myself to actually put it to good use? Like being given an amazing new Shelby and not being able to drive a stick.

Annnnyway, stepping off my soapbox.

If groups are renting your space and are making use of your lighting system and they have an board op, you could pick his/her brain for info as well. I would second calling A local dealer though that would be your best bet.

We need physical help, someone to come and teach us (and other people!) how to use this great system. We have a budget, slim as you would guess, but this is something we truly need. It's a Strand Lighting Palette system.
Try reaching out to @bharrell ([email protected])--he's the man! I'm sure he could coordinate something for you. Also/and/or @phenry ([email protected]).

Another avenue to find someone would be via the Strand user forums: http://www.strand-dev.com/forums/ .

IIRC, we used to have as a CB member a HS kid quite experienced in Strand Palette/Light Palette, but I think he's moved on to college, NC or SC. Sadly, I can't recall his CB name.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back