Need different Light board

JoeML

I own 12 Mac 500s and the theater has the conventional lighting . The theater already has a ETC Insight 3, so I'm just trying to find a board to work well with my Mac's.
I own a ETC Smartfade ML, and so far it has worked great! But when other shows come in and want a larger cue stack then 199, I can't help out. But thats not the only problem I'm facing.

So here I am asking if any of you can direct me towards a lighting board, that wont make me go bankrupt, lol.

Specs I would like in the board are as follows (top = most needed)

1. Cue stack of more than 500
  2. Preset effects for moving lights ie. figure 8,ect. More than 25
  3. Key button Palettes
  4. Sequences more than 100
  5. MIDI in/out
  6. Sound activated if possible or tap to move bump button
  7. Supports monitor
  8. Memories more than 500
All the other basics in a board also.

I know some of you might say PC based, but I've seen some using PC stuff and I hate the idea of having to look at what I have to click on next, while watching the stage at the same time.

My budget is low as I don't have schools or theaters paying for my equipment. I'd say from $0 - $3000. But if you could also include any from $3000 - $5000,(edit.. $4k - $10K) incase some money falls into my lap!

Last edited:
I think that unfortunately, with your budget and criteria, PC based is all that fits. I was going to suggest Chamsys MagicQ until I read that caveat.

Are you open to exploring the used market?

yes. I would look at used before new almost anyday, lol

I would not want to buy anything used in that price range. For 3k you can buy a wing for a MagicQ PC that will give hard encoders and playbacks. Add a touchsmart computer and you are set for $3500. If you can get 5k you can get the larger wing with 4 universes and all that stuff.

Your not going to get a real console for that amount of money. HogII's are still going for 5-7k in the used world, even higher in good condition. Hog1000's are so long in the tooth I don't think I would buy one.

I see Hog 500s just above that price range on Ebay. I've only used a Hog 1K once, several years ago, and it wasn't terrible once I got the hang of it -- but I also haven't used any of the cool new toys either. I'm not sure how the 500 fits in with the criteria, but it may be an option -- good or bad, an option.

MagicQ with a wing does sound like the least expensive way to go, and moderately future-proof in some regards. That would, like the other guys have said, give you an actual hardware control surface with some number of playbacks and, depending on the wing, some number of encoders and keypad and such.

Unless you have some super good connections (somebody who's parting with a moderately recent board for next-to-nothing to make room for their many new top-of-the-line boards in the shop, for example), those are the two best options I can think of. I'm sure there are others, but that's what comes to mind.

I've got a used once FAT frog with a road case that I can let go at your low end target price.

The Zero88 FatFrog (Fat Frog) can control up to 48 generic channels, which may be manually or automatically patched to any of the 512 DMX channels, there is also capability for control of up to 12 intelligent fixtures. The FatFrog is fitted with a floppy drive for loading and saving show data, a remote ‘Go’ port and an output for a monitor.

Memories can be recorded into the Fat Frog as scenes or chases, each having its own fade times and modifiers. Memories may be played back with the crossfade master and the ‘Go’ button for sequential, pre-programmed shows. Extra flexibility is afforded through the 108 submasters allowing for the creation of lighting effects for the more spontaneous shows.

Zero 88 Lighting. Lighting Control Systems for Entertainment, Stage, Film, Television, Theatre, Schools and Drama

I have a friend who has the Zero 88 Fat Frog. He said he was willing to let me try it for a month.
Maybe I'll just have to go show hopping and see what kind of boards are out there.

I just thought, maybe from the users here, someone could suggest a decently priced board that I can buy new or used, better than the Smartfade ML. Don't get me wrong, I love the SFML!!! But I need more options to do more shows and still keeping my cue stack without rewriting it all again before a show. I do shows at my local theatre yearly, so this is my problem. As where if I had a higher #'d cue stack, to around 500+, I could do multiple shows, without needed to rewrite or freakout before doing a show, cause something was over written.

I will try that magicQ demo, but I'd rather have a console over a PC.

Although I was reading up on a couple of boards. I thought maybe a Road Hog or Wholehog II (Flying Pig), Ion or Congo Jr. (ETC), Maxxyz (Martin) & ppl told me buy a Avolite, but don't know anything about them. Of course, these would be the higher cost ones.

I will try that magicQ demo, but I'd rather have a console over a PC.

Although I was reading up on a couple of boards. I thought maybe a Road Hog or Wholehog II (Flying Pig), Ion or Congo Jr. (ETC), Maxxyz (Martin) & ppl told me buy a Avolite, but don't know anything about them. Of course, these would be the higher cost ones.

Road Hogs are still in the 10k range, though many people are selling them for cheaper because they replaced them with the "full boar" console. Ion's are actually going up in price and there are not any on the used market as far as I have seen. Avo's are great if you are busking everything, however Avo and cue stack do not go together.

There is nothing wrong with a PC based solution. All modern consoles run on top of windows or linux and use standard computer hardware. Really, all your paying for is a fancy keyboard.

Also, nearly all modern consoles are not limited by channel counts or cue counts. They are simply limited by outputs and with many consoles you can add more outputs then the largest show in the world could use.

Using a wing with a PC based console will give you a nearly identical experience to using the real console. You have a choice between getting something that is outdated and will never get better and getting something that is still being updated and is not nearly as limiting.

Sounds to me like your best bet is trying to pick up something like an old used WholeHog... Just checked Solaris and they currently have an old Hog 2 for $4600.

If you want something new take a look at the Zero88 Jester TL It's got all the spec's your looking for and it has an offline editor. It's very compact as well.

Attachments

• JesterTL1108.pdf
    589.7 KB · Views: 449
You could get a Hog 500 in the low $3k's. I've seen Hog IIs for around $3500, but its pretty uncommon to find one at that price. There's a used one on gearsource for less than $4k.

I love avolites, but if you do mostly theater work, I'm not so sure its your best solution. Although their new boards are pretty capable.

Chamsys is amazing for any possible application you may have. You can get the console version for a hair over $10k, last I checked. No computer required. Its not just future proof, it is the future.

If you want a Zero88 Bullfrog, I have one available and it should be below $3500, with a case and in impeccable condition. A touch big, though, compared to your SFML.

Not sure if you have seen it over in the states, but lsc clarity might be worth a look. I've had a play with one over here in oz, and it's a very versatile, and very user freindly system. Not sure who distributes in the states, but google is your friend.

You can buy new Hog 500 and 1000 consoles by the way. AC Lighting and Jands have picked up the line after Flying Pig dropped it and are making new boards again. Not exactly sure on price, but call AC Lighting and ask.

Speaking of Jands, for your price point you can get the Jands Vista with an S3 or if you don't want to furnish a computer, the I3 has it all built into one console.

Last edited:
I'd say go with one of the hogs. I'd say go with a hog 500 or 1000. Even if the particular unit you buy is older, it's still far easier to get parts/repairs. I am still a big fan of hog II, but they are starting to suffer from hardware issues. If you decide to go with a hog II, the big things to check are touchscreens working (no longer made and very hard to get), flickering/ intermittent backlight on touchscreens (I believe fixable, but expensive), internal battery (if it hasn't been replaced it needs to be, it WILL leak and damage the circuit board), anything relating to the main board (replacements pretty much CANNOT be found).

You can buy new Hog 500 and 1000 consoles by the way. AC Lighting and Jands have picked up the line after Flying Pig dropped it and are making new boards again. Not exactly sure on price, but call AC Lighting and ask.

Speaking of Jands, for your price point you can get the Jands Vista with an S3 or if you don't want to furnish a computer, the I3 has it all built into one console.

The Hog 500/1000 console's have been discontiued. It happened recently, but they are gone.

Jands - Vale Jands Hog

On Friday the 4th of December, 2009, the last Jands Hog 1000 was sold and the product line discontinued, closing the book on one of the lighting industry’s most popular, loved and iconic consoles. Fifteen years after the first Jandshog was released in 1994, the Hog remains a staple of many a rental company’s stock. It can be found anywhere from Russia to Mexico and everywhere between. The AV department at the President Hotel in Moscow even advertises the Hog 1000 for 3,500 roubles a day!

I am still pretty against buying any console that is connected to the HogII software beyond a used iPC. HogII software is great, however it is now pretty outdated in its feature set. The Hog's that are out on the used market have been out on the road for a long time and don't have too much time left.

... HogII software is great, however it is now pretty outdated in its feature set. ...
Please tell us how newer software will operate the OP's twelve MAC 500s better?:evil:

The Hog1000 appears to fulfill every requirement except
and I think that "feature" will only be found on low end consoles.

and I think that "feature" will only be found on low end consoles.

Actually, Congo Jr. will perform the Tap Rate functionality of that specific requirement and will complete all of the the rest of the OP's list of needs.

While new might be more toward the top end of his amended extended range, I have seen a couple of used ones out there closer to his original extended price range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back