need help with gel issue Tiffany blue

Pav636

I have a client which wants to do a tiffany blue color roof wash, now im going to put a S4 50' in each corner 750w and wanted help picking out which gel would be needed to get the tiffany blue color.

Get a color sample from the client such as a sheet or table cloth. If you are good at memorizing color look at the gel color then compare to the sample you have. You can also take the sample to your local supplier and play with some gels in front of the lights and compare with your sample.

Assuming the web search I just did makes sense, it looks like a Rosco 374 might be close. If the intent is to match it to a fabric things get a little trickier since the fabric itself will shift colour depending on the lighting conditions.

Since these will be facing up, remember to run an endurance test on whatever color you are going to use to make sure it holds up for the needed duration.

tiffanybluebox-300x294.jpg
the Buyble » a daily dose of fashion history + insight (with a touch of feminism) » Tiffany Blue

The closest I've come is using an RGB calculator: Red 129, Blu 216, Grn 208. DMX: R 50%, B 85%, G 82%.

Working backwards from that, either
Roscolux #4330 CalColor 30 Cyan, or
Roscolux #4360 CalColor 60 Cyan.
Rgel_Set06__96928.1317862747.1280.1280.jpg

In pigment, it's much greener than one might initially think. BTW, I've tried to match gel colors to pigments many times. It seldom works out well. Are you shining this blue-green 750W 3200K light onto a white surface? What color of "white"?

tiffany blue wedding.jpg

Attachments

• blank.gif
    blank.gif
    43 bytes · Views: 699
As someone who may or may not have lit events for a jewelry company with an iconic blue color.... there is no gel that even comes close, especially if what you are lighting isn't perfectly white. A lot of colors LOOK close when you look at the swatch, but don't look the same once projected.

Assuming the web search I just did makes sense, it looks like a Rosco 374 might be close. If the intent is to match it to a fabric things get a little trickier since the fabric itself will shift colour depending on the lighting conditions.

DO NOT-- I repeat-- DO NOT go off of the web appearance. That is entirely based on your monitor settings and NOT an accurate representation of how a color filter will pass through light. Call up a theatrical dealer and ask for Swatch books from the major Gel Manufacturers, then look through the gel (or shine a NON-LED flashlight through it to see how they look. That's the only real way to accurately tell.

This was the hot color for weddings last year. I did it with LED a lot. I'll check today and find out what the RGB mix on LED is (for the LED I use anyway) and let you know. It pairs well with cocoa and chocolate colors, btw.

DO NOT-- I repeat-- DO NOT go off of the web appearance. That is entirely based on your monitor settings and NOT an accurate representation of how a color filter will pass through light. Call up a theatrical dealer and ask for Swatch books from the major Gel Manufacturers, then look through the gel (or shine a NON-LED flashlight through it to see how they look. That's the only real way to accurately tell.

I guess you missed all the waffle-speak in my response.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back