Need some advice on new console used for concert busking .

I have been running 2 leprecon LP1536s for quite sometime to run our rigs that incude conventionals and moving lights . Needless to say our desk is much older then our rig and it has taken some engineering to get it all going lol . But its time we make the big move to purchase a new desk for our company as we have ran out of channels for adding new stuff to the rig . We have looked into many different desks and just cant seem to get any good advice on what will fit our needs .

We do a lot of "busking" so i need somthing that you can grab fixtures and change looks on the fly . I really am not a fan of Pc software so it needs to be a actual self supporting desk . Any advice you guys could give me would be great I dont want to take a stab in the dark when i make the purchase . thanks fellas !!!!

Thank you ! I will start researching today on that line I also probably add our budget is in the $5000 dollar range . How about a zero88 frog ? Any one had any luck with them ?

Whatever console you choose to run with, make sure it is an up-to-date model. I know the grandMA 2 programming wing is around $8k, and it would cover your needs. I'm not a fan of the Zero88 gear, and I would definitely not get a used Frog. Any console that still requires a 3.5" floppy will be a tough one to keep updated on fixture profiles. Otherwise, the Jands Vista is very price friendly, ETC is continuing their lines with much success, and the list goes on. If you can afford to buy a touch-screen monitor, then any of the PC consoles would be fine for what you are doing.

Whatever console you choose to run with, make sure it is an up-to-date model. I know the grandMA 2 programming wing is around $8k, and it would cover your needs. I'm not a fan of the Zero88 gear, and I would definitely not get a used Frog. Any console that still requires a 3.5" floppy will be a tough one to keep updated on fixture profiles. Otherwise, the Jands Vista is very price friendly, ETC is continuing their lines with much success, and the list goes on. If you can afford to buy a touch-screen monitor, then any of the PC consoles would be fine for what you are doing.

None of those are within his stated budget, and none are busking friendly. The very basic jands vista surface does fit within budget but it would be terrible for trying to busk a show. As far as floppys go they are still out there, and you can get a usb floppy drive. In that price range they will either be dealing with floppys or computer based consoles with a small wing.

Depending on the size of your current and future rig, a Smartfade ML would be well within your price range. You'd have to weigh the benefit of a brand new console against the more limited feature set.

As far as used, you won't find an Avo Pearl Expert in that range, but 2004/2008s are available. You can find Hog 3's for slightly out of your price range.

I have to agree that for a fully featured console at that price range, a wing is your best bet. You might find a deal somewhere on a used console, and you should jump on it if you can, but you have to look far and wide to find those.

I really would like too stay away from PC wings , I personally love my old Leprecon Lp,s have used one for 10 years now . So I was thinking on trying to stick with them . Any thoughts on the Leprecon LP x48 ? So far on the desks mentioned here I am liking the avo pearl . I found a avo pearl 2000 that's been updated to a 2004 that fits our budget do you guys see any problems i would have with that desk ? Floppys don't bother me I can deal with that .

Here is what we run normally but as all of you know that can very , but our standard rig we use weekly consists of this .

40k pars some rays
6mac 250s
4 atomics
6 led Colorado's
4 intellabeams
4 cycs
4 legend 250rxs

That rig would just about max out the Smartfade ML. You get a maximum of 24 discrete fixtures (you can of course address things to the same address, such as the strobes), and 48 conventional channels. It is easy enough to patch down the conventionals to fit on 48 channels, but you would have no room for expansion of your intelligent inventory. That combined with the fact that you don't get a monitor, the ML is probably a little too small for your needs.

The pearls are great desks. Personally, I prefer the Titan software to the classic, but we still have plenty of people around us that run classic. You'd need a Pearl Expert or newer to be able to run Titan.

I love the Martin consoles, but you couldn't get a dedicated console at your price range. The M2GO is almost 9k list, and the only cheaper option is their wing which is the exact same surface, but you need a laptop for a brain. Since you don't want to do wings, I'd take a nice long look at your used console options.

If that Pearl 2004 is in good condition, I'd think seriously about it. You should be able to get another 4 or 5 years out of it without worrying.

That's kinda what I was leaning too as well , I'm gonna do some serious research on the pearl line . I want to thank you guys for taking the time out of your busy days to answer these questions ! I got to get rid of these multiple leprecons (what we have named Frakenconsole LMAO ) its always hard to let go of what you are "used too " lol I was raised on the leps . But you would definitely say that the pearls are the best "busking" console to use that fits my budget ?

Now you're into the realm of opinion. Avo consoles were built to run concerts. They are great for doing things on the fly, and you can beat them for sheer number of faders and buttons at your fingertips.

That being said, they do things differently than most other consoles, and can either be a joy, or the most frustrating thing in your life.

See if you can go hang out at a local rental shop and play with something similar to what you want to buy. Nothing replaces hands on time to decide if you like something.

Even better, see if the guy you are buying the console from will let you take it out on a gig to try it out.

I prefer other consoles personally, but you can't talk down the quality of an Avo, keeping in mind that it is 10-12 years old at this point, of course.

Thank you so much cbrandt you nailed it that's what I'm after faders and bumps at my finger tips . I will definitely go try a few thank you !!

Here is another thread that discussed the Avolites pearl:
http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/lighting-electrics/32842-busking-like-boss.html
Something I really like about Avolites is this:
Avolites Personality Library
I wish the other console makers would do the same thing with an easy way to search to see if the profile exists already.
Something else to consider, are there going to be other consoles like what you select available locally. It is really important to have a back up plan in place.

Avo's tend to be the affordable go-to for busking. I know people who are fans of the Martin M1 or M2GO, which are both less expensive than say a Hog or MA.

What kind of shows are we talking about here? Mainly music?
Zero88 Solution might fit the bill, its quite good value if you can get used to its idiosyncrasies and programming mode.
Avolites Pearl - cannot go wrong with one of these. Bombproof and easy to use. A new Tiger is almost within your budget.
Don't get an ETC - they are great for theatre but not live stuff.
Whoever mentioned a grandMA 2 programming wing - seriously? It only has 6 playbacks! And 8K instead of 5k. And hard to get to grips with.
Jands are, weird if you are not used to them and also lack sufficient playbacks.
But speaking of wings - and I know you said you dont like them - but let me just say that ChamSys PC Wings are rock solid and behave just like their big desks. Plenty of high profile shows out using this stuff. Just consider, you can get a dedicated PC, touchscreen, Maxi Wing and Extra wing for added playbacks and executers just about within your budget. It has to be the best value and most versatile solution. If you are not familiar with their gear, it is fast and intuitive and you can operate it in regular style or full theatre tracking mode. Have a look.

I love using Avo consoles. I'm sitting behind my Tiger right now. It's so nice to have buttons and faders, things to grab when stuff is happening. I can't imagine running a show on some of the major controllers after I've been using Avo for several years. Where are all the handles!? Guitarist plays a solo and I reach up to push the corresponding fader. Simple as that. Anything else just doesn't make sense to me. I'll often run a moving light show with only 6-8 playbacks. Everything can be done by utilizing palettes. In fact, I have 5 scenes right now (plus two playbacks for pan/tilt shapes) for the wedding I'm working. I really can't recommend Avo enough for busking shows. On the other hand, though, it certainly does not excel at theatre-type gigs where you need a list of cues to step through. There is a "theatre stack" mode which I spent all of 5 minutes playing with one day. Good luck with what you decide.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back