Need some advice on new console used for concert busking .

I love using Avo consoles. I'm sitting behind my Tiger right now. It's so nice to have buttons and faders, things to grab when stuff is happening. I can't imagine running a show on some of the major controllers after I've been using Avo for several years. Where are all the handles!? Guitarist plays a solo and I reach up to push the corresponding fader. Simple as that. Anything else just doesn't make sense to me. I'll often run a moving light show with only 6-8 playbacks. Everything can be done by utilizing palettes. In fact, I have 5 scenes right now (plus two playbacks for pan/tilt shapes) for the wedding I'm working. I really can't recommend Avo enough for busking shows. On the other hand, though, it certainly does not excel at theatre-type gigs where you need a list of cues to step through. There is a "theatre stack" mode which I spent all of 5 minutes playing with one day. Good luck with what you decide.

The "theatre stack" works fine. I run a nutracker with it every year. And I've had a couple of tours come in that required me to program that way. It's doesn't have all of the features of a theater desk but it'll get the job done.

The new generation of boards that run Titan 6 handle cue stacks really well. Maybe not as well as an EOS or MA2, but good enough to run a complex cue lists that involves split times, move-in-dark, autoloading of other cues and chases. They have come on a long way.

Just came in to say: +1 for the Avo Pearl, something running titan.

I love using Avo consoles. I'm sitting behind my Tiger right now. It's so nice to have buttons and faders, things to grab when stuff is happening. I can't imagine running a show on some of the major controllers after I've been using Avo for several years. Where are all the handles!? Guitarist plays a solo and I reach up to push the corresponding fader. Simple as that. Anything else just doesn't make sense to me. I'll often run a moving light show with only 6-8 playbacks. Everything can be done by utilizing palettes. In fact, I have 5 scenes right now (plus two playbacks for pan/tilt shapes) for the wedding I'm working. I really can't recommend Avo enough for busking shows. On the other hand, though, it certainly does not excel at theatre-type gigs where you need a list of cues to step through. There is a "theatre stack" mode which I spent all of 5 minutes playing with one day. Good luck with what you decide.

New to CB, I like what you said about avo. consoles and wanted to ask if you know anything about the new Avo (Quartz). Im a rookie lighting tech, still making my way up. I work with a small company that works with 4-10 moving heads, 10-30 led par cans, source fours, and other conventional lighting. Im working with a pc software (Das light Virtual Controller) and the company wants to get a physical console. Price range is 6k-12k. I need to be able to do a lot of busking and on fly moves. Thank you for your time.

The Quartz is an excellent console, and it fits right in your budget. In my opinion its just as powerful as an expert titan, with just a lot less physical "Buttons". It should even give you a little room to expand. I think Victor in the post above yours owns and uses one on tour.

Just came in to say: +1 for the Avo Pearl, something running titan.

Hi Victor, I've been notified that you have worked with the all new Quartz. Can you give me a bit of a review and if it will suit my needs. Any Pros and Cons. And what are the major differences with the Quartz and the tiger touch 2.

and if you possibly have any other recommendations on consoles that will suit my needs. Thanks

Thanks Victor, Josh

Yeah, bumping around the country with one of them now. I'm quite happy with it! I actually brought mine into a room with a Tiger Touch 2 a week or so ago, and am actually kinda pleased with the way I went. The Tiger Touch 2 is physically larger, but I don't feel you get a whole lot more for all that extra real estate it takes up. The TT2 does have a larger screen and those 10 submasters. I've considered purchasing a wing for the extra playbacks, but at least with my current show, I don't have the need yet.

I think it would fit your needs well, and be in your price point. Consider getting the wing with it.

Something in the Avolites pearl line would be my first choice.

Pearl line? First choice? Really? Where have you been the last 5 years?!!

Whatever console you choose to run with, make sure it is an up-to-date model. I know the grandMA 2 programming wing is around $8k, and it would cover your needs. I'm not a fan of the Zero88 gear, and I would definitely not get a used Frog. Any console that still requires a 3.5" floppy will be a tough one to keep updated on fixture profiles. Otherwise, the Jands Vista is very price friendly, ETC is continuing their lines with much success, and the list goes on. If you can afford to buy a touch-screen monitor, then any of the PC consoles would be fine for what you are doing.

I agree about going with up-to-date. To people suggesting a Pearl 2004 / 2008... I mean they're still working consoles for sure but I think buying something which is 7 years out of date when you buy it is pushing the boundaries of what is sensible. I don't think the MA2 Command Wing is a viable option really... for 'busking' you really need more than 5 faders and 5 exec buttons, particularly as the lack of motorised faders prevents proper use of the Page Up / Page Down functions. But indeed the fader wing makes it hard to program. One thing of course you can consider with the MA2 Command Wing, is that it takes a DMX Input which can be used to trigger things. So the OP could use his existing consoles, in a simpler manner, to help trigger sequence, effects and perhaps individual dimmers etc from the MA2 system whilst benefitting the programming capability of the MA2 system. The good news is also that your $8k figure is way off... it shouldn't be much more than $5k so basically in the OP's budget.

The pearls are great desks. Personally, I prefer the Titan software to the classic, but we still have plenty of people around us that run classic. You'd need a Pearl Expert or newer to be able to run Titan.

If that Pearl 2004 is in good condition, I'd think seriously about it. You should be able to get another 4 or 5 years out of it without worrying.

As I said above, I don't believe that this is a good investment when there are plenty of far more advanced moving light controllers on the market now for good money. How about a Titan Mobile? If you ask me, far more capable than a Pearl 2008, same layout, better price. Well priced wings also available from Martin, Chamsys, MA... even I think there is a Hog one now?

If it must be a desk and not a wing... well you have to consider the Chamsys MQ40/MQ60/MQ70. Nobody else has mentioned them yet - perhaps they're not too big in the USA? But they're really popular in the UK and I think you could quite possibly get an MQ40 console to fit into the budget of $5k...

@Pie4Weebl or others using Titan, have you had a chance to use the Titan Remote App, if so, how is it?

So Ive contacted a few lighting techs in the area, they do what I do (church stuff and sometimes small tour). He says avo has bad tech support. Is that right avo users? He uses an m6 Martin now, and recommending a m1 martin for me! What do you guys think ??

Personally, I find the M1 to be an excellent desk, and Martin to have pretty good tech support. The thing is though, I haven't had to deal with console support from Martin since Harman has owned them, so I can't say anything for that. However, as far as the M1 goes, it's a fantastic console (my first choice if an MA is not available) and very flexible for concert busking.

So Ive contacted a few lighting techs in the area, they do what I do (church stuff and sometimes small tour). He says avo has bad tech support. Is that right avo users? He uses an m6 Martin now, and recommending a m1 martin for me! What do you guys think ??

I have no particular allegiance to Avolites but I can reliably inform you that what your friend says is an absolute crock of horse dung and there is no truth to it whatsoever.

People always want a reason to slag somebody off, and "bad tech support" is one of those ones that people can use without really having to quantify their statement.

Avolites have 2 full time console trainers and several more on the books, who can do training and also provide tech support over the phone if you're on a gig etc. They have people who take the duty phone home at night and over the weekend so that you can get expert technical support 24/7. They offer free training on all their products, and they do youtube videos and webinars on them too. I have had to use tech support from many companies and Avo are certainly one of the better ones.

The funny thing is there are plenty of things you could knock Avo down for... so it's very odd of your friend to knock them for something they're actually good at!

--- I still think you should look more into Chamsys... IMO the best value busking desks on the market at the moment.

Yeah that's why I didn't want to use of source! Thanks! I don't see a lot of ppl using Martin consoles, more grand ma, hogs and Avos. What do you guys think of grandma2 pc with pc wing (reason for this is ill get a little more familiar with grand ma), is that a bad rout to go for busking? I thought about this maybe later on when gear quantity/quality grows for the company I will move over to the big guy (grand ma 2 desk) like most tour/house of worship ppl do? What do you guys think!

If the $4000 were available though I'd definitely be inclined to take the TT.

PS I know you're just using online prices as a guide, but obviously to the OP - make sure you get your prices through the proper dealer, the chances of a discount are much better.

If the $4000 were available though I'd definitely be inclined to take the TT.

PS I know you're just using online prices as a guide, but obviously to the OP - make sure you get your prices through the proper dealer, the chances of a discount are much better.

Yeah that's true! I was thinking about it but ill probably get a tt2 later and run Quartz as a backup console, or see if I like avolites.

That 8K price from Blue Planet lighting is really good! When I bought mine, I didn't find a price that low! Quartz+Wing > TT2, even if they cost the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back