Need some Help with Scoop Bulbs

Hi Guys,
We just finished ordering in some Bulbs for our scoops, (1000W, E39 Base 130V).
We had a bitch of a time, finding them, both local guy and out of supplier had a hard time finding them, and it tool 3 months to order.
The old Bulbs we were using was those like these
http://bullseyeindustrialsales.com/...9-frost-ps52-1000w-120-130v-light-bulb-118507
Now the new ones we got in a these purple box ones, (see attachments). After we put them into our scoops, within 1 Week - 1 & 1/2, they blew, and created what appeared to be a speckled patter within the bulb, just under the surface of the glass.
At $100 per bulb, we don`t want try any others, and what makes us mad is they were so hard to order in the first place. The Scoops were using are an Altman 14 inch scoops. We know its not the fixture as we took one of the old bulbs and put into another scoop where the newer bulb that blew was and were not having any problems.
Just wondering whats causing this, and if we can`t get Incandescent bulbs for them anymore, weather there is LED bulb that will work, or what are our Fixture Replacement options.
Also, with the newer packaging on these bulbs, I am now wondering if these are knockoff's and is the reason why they are blowing. (made in china)
Any thoughts are greatly appreciated
IMG_547157591.JPG
IMG_547157612.JPG
Thanks,
Soundguy99

Are you using them as Work lights or show lights? If Work lights, there are big CFLs you could look in to.

If I google 1000ps52, I get this among other selections. I don't know if they last longer.

At $100 per lamp, I don't think you got your 1000 hours worth.

Go Sharks!

Last edited:
At that price you might see if they have some sort or return/warranty program.

It's would be easy to justify and recommend you replace with LED - new fixtures. Wide price range, a lot of diversity of opinion. You need to do side by side comparison.

You might look for adapters to use quartz lamps. Might be worth trying 1. Optical issues might not work.

But you probably can get better replacements and continue for a while.

For LED, I like the 90 watt version of these. I have seen them used for rehearsal lights. It has a nice white output with an optional color frame.

It looks like they cost around 4 $100 lamp replacements.

It's a great unit but low end dimming is poor. It's also a symmetrical reflector, which means it will not give even lighting top to bottom. I specify it all the time for work lights.

Then, at $400 each, a three or four color wash may be less expensive in a single LED unit.

Really need drop heigth and width and distance from drop to electric to to know which fixtures might work.

Getting hard to find good PS52 1k lamps! Used to get reliable ones for $10. Those days are gone. Sold off about 2 cases on Ebay a few years back at $7 each. Wish I hadn't but I never expected old incandescents to be some prized possession! If you want to keep the fixtures, then get a Halogen (quartz) replacement. I did see these non-frosted ones on Amazon - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007RKZTXY/?tag=controlbooth-20
If the fixtures use a brushed aluminum, they may work. For $17 it may be worth trying a couple.

Hi,
Thanks for the reply's guys,
I always had the Led Fixture replacement as an option in the back of my mind, but was exploring, either an explanation of why it would be blowing, experience with a bulb in that packaging, and/or, know where I can find proper ones.
We use them as general work lights, although we have Halogen work lights hung in the electrics for work lights. Typically I like to use them to add in, warm ambient lighting for, events like grads, and presentations, and other such events where I don`t want an obvious color wash and just need to brighten up the stage.
I have looked at a few work lights from companies like RAB, and although they are great LED panels, none of them I found will do dimming, which is what we need for stage.
I also thought about, getting just a white wash fixture, were already looking at replacing out color Fresnels to something like the Chauvet FC 915C or ETC source 4 with the Fresnel adapter. however, for the scoops, I really didn`t want to go down that route if I could. I am already getting resistance back from management looking at 40 year old fresels and par cans. I don`t want to push it..lol
We even tried going to an Eiko, and was willing to change the characteristics to a non dim, until we discover that those new style of High wattage LED bulbs, doesn`t have enough of a neck for the base to screw in to scoop socket which is recessed a ways back into the fixture. They are also so heavy they have their own safety cables for just the bulb lol.
Thanks again guys.
Soudnguy99

Are you sure your lamp sockets are are not arched in being a bad lamp socket? Fixtures bounced about in moving from position to position?

Next, I'm a huge fan of the GE/Thorn DKZ/DSE lamp for a 1Kw scoop. Nelson Lamps is the only domestic supplier of them.
Best 1KW Mogul Screw lamp on the market I think in my bouncing about in touring needs so far. (Remove the lamp for transport.) Otherwise if Aerotech is still in the 1kw PS-52 market, another brand to look towards.

Don't discount the Fresnel. Altman has a series of work lights to consider. Elco, can you post more info about what?

Last edited:
new style of High wattage LED bulbs, doesn`t have enough of a neck for the base to screw in to scoop socket which is recessed a ways back into the fixture.

Bulb extenders do exist for just this reason. Amazon sells ones like this: http://a.co/5tFYCAo.

I'd use caution with the weight you've described. I've seen these vibrate loose from overhead fixtures. Hopefully your scoops have a mesh across the face, or you can utilize that safety you mentioned.

Time to stop beating that dead horse.

I have picked up some LED warehouse lights that I use for worklights for about $50 each. Much brighter than the old 500 watt lamps at 1/5 the energy consumption.

If you absolutely must have incandescent buy some old PAR cans and use those instead.

Sourcing PAR lamps shouldn't be a problem. A scoop with a photo flash lamp for a lightning flash I don't think can be replaced in intensity or speed by LED. Granted a photo flash lamp in it, and unless you are used to the flash intensity or speed, that's a work around in thinking it doing good.

CRI has come up a lot, just buy new fixtures and go with that. Just buy new fixtures.

I have found some LED lamps recently that replace high bay lighting, which will work in a scoop. Even found a security light that out punches an "audience blinder". A lot coming out in the LED industry every month. High density RGB - seriously high density - like 12mm on center nodes, 5-node LED tape etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back